Giga compatible? Athlon Sis740 chipset XP1700+

I\'m interested in the Giga-suitability of a computer with:

Athlon Sis740 chipset
    XP1700+ processor
    1 Maxtor 20gb 7200
    1 Maxtor 60gb 7200
    Windows98SE
    512mb RAM

Any related information would be greatly appreciated, I\'ve already searched the archives.

Re: Giga compatible? Athlon Sis740 chipset XP1700+

Michael,

I have basically the same computer. Mine is an XP 1600. I use it with an Audiophile 24/96 sound card and it works great. I get 160 voices. I try to keep the memory below 75%. If I go above that, it sometimes crashes. But if I am below 75% I can work on it all day with no problems. 1 gig of memory would be great.

Terry

Thanks Terry,

I happen to have the same soundcard, an Audiophile 2496 and I like it. If your 1600 works I\'m thinking my 1700 will too.

Does your motherboard have the Sis740 chipset? I saw a negative post on stuff before the 760. If I\'m not making sense I apologize, I\'m new to serious computer stuff. I think I\'m learning more about computers on this site then on many dedicated computer sites!

I\'ll probably be getting some more memory. Can you tell me what your vcache, chunksize, and swapfile settings are, and what your OS is?

Thanks again,
    Michael

Michael,

My chipset is 735 and my operating system is 98SE. Everything else is just like it came out of the box.

Terry

Terry,

It sounds like, component-wise, we\'re in a similar position. And that\'s given me a positive attitude about the system I\'m putting together!

Thanks once again, I appreciate your help.

Michael

Go Back to forum