• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows Safe Mode? HELP

Share/Bookmark

Windows Safe Mode? HELP

Hey Folks,
    I\'m wondering if someone could help me. I Have a sound chaser giga box. I thought I ask before I pay for tech support somewhere.
    I was having trouble with my Pocket PC device. I called the manufatcuer which is HP. The customer service person had me begin to uninstall com ports in my device manager. when I did this, my pc rebooted itself, but did not put the com port (which was 1) back. I was in the middle of job in the field so I left the problems for later after leaving a message at Soundchasers new owners Carriollion.
    The following day, I boot up my computer and it will not let me boot up in normal mode ONLY safe! I can\'t even use the network with the network safe mode. Could someone help me with this? I don\'t know PCs very well (hence Sound Chaser.) I\'m not sure what I should be checking or looking for in Device Manager? My Systems is 1 Ghz, 712 megs of ram, Win98.
    Thanks I just got another gig and want to fix this before I dive in.
    So the problems are stuck in safe mode and com port s for my mobile device?

Sincerely,

Re: Windows Safe Mode? HELP

usually even w98 should recognize the com-port during a restart. have you tried the hardware-assistent? if this does not see the port as a pnp-device, try to add it manually (just follow the instructions on the screen)
    if your hp-device shows up in software (e.g. as sync-application), uninstall it first
    hth, christian

Chrisitan,
    Originally posted by christian marin:
    usually even w98 should recognize the com-port during a restart. have you tried the hardware-assistent? if this does not see the port as a pnp-device, try to add it manually (just follow the instructions on the screen)
    if your hp-device shows up in software (e.g. as sync-application), uninstall it first
    hth, christian
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well I got a hold of Paul, formerly of Sound Chaser, he suggested the restore which wipes my boot drive. i did it this evening. Ironically, the Com port did not return. So, I got my PC back, but still not able to hot synch my device to my PC.
    In regards to your help. Do mean the on screen help in the device manager? I tried that but it doesn;t help. When I try to manually add a com port, my PC goes not and offers to restart. I\'m still stuck trying to get my device to connect. Could you elaborate on your suggestions? Any more/further suggestions?

Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    When I try to manually add a com port, my PC goes not and offers to restart.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">i thought on the hardware-assistent found in settings - tries to find newly attached pnp-devices in a first run, then (if nothing found) asks to add a device manually
    after choosing a com-port and copying some files it asks for a restart - that\'s ok.

please look carefully on your installed applications before - this hot-sync-thingies usually are *monitoring* the com-port permanently and if there are two drivers (e.g. from a mobile-device and a palm) are doing this at the same time, the result may be an *unexpected* one, up to a crash of the whole system.

you might have heard of similar effects using a scanner and a printer (with a printer-monotor) on the parallel-port at the same time.

if your system runs actually *somehow*, think about using e.g. drive-image to backup your boot-partition to a second harddrive before further experiments, so you can return to the current state, if you do not succeed.

but sometimes you will be more (and faster) successfull with a clean install ....
    christian

Christian,

Originally posted by christian marin:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
    When I try to manually add a com port, my PC goes not and offers to restart.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">i thought on the hardware-assistent found in settings - tries to find newly attached pnp-devices in a first run, then (if nothing found) asks to add a device manually
    after choosing a com-port and copying some files it asks for a restart - that\'s ok.

christian
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What I meant to say was that my computer restarts but doesn\'t reinsatll the com port. Anyhoo, I talked to Paul at Soundchaser/Carrilon. He suggested cheking the bios settings and sure enough there was one disabled.
    I changed the ICQ4 settigna and VIOLA, the com port appaeared. BUT MY DEVICE STILL WON\'T SYNCH!
    This was a custom job from Sound Chaser, there was no Palm device installted there. I have tried different Buad settings and am still at a loss.

Go Back to forum