• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital Sync / Sound Card Question

Re: Digital Sync / Sound Card Question

In my project studio I have 4 adat cards plus a digital mixer:

Frontier Dakota + Montana
    Frontier Wavecenter Pci
    2 x Oasys

I regularly use all together. The Oasii have WC ins, as does the Dakota (IIRC the WC comes from the Montana expansion). I had fits when I tried to use WC via the coax video cabling.

It took me a while to find a solid, clean configuration, but now all is easy. Now I use no coax WC, just WC via lightpipe, no problems.

For me there are many ways I could route all my signals and get WC that don\'t work 100%, and just a couple that do (pure lightpipe). There\'s not a lot of logic behind what works and what doesn\'t, my only advice is I wouldn\'t expect good results from feeding a signal from a device that uses a 3rd generation regenerated clock back into a device that\'s using a 1st generation clock signal. YMMV.

My full layout uses 9 lightpipe cables + 2 spdif, plus a drawing on the wall to remind me what goes where and how everybody is clocked...

Digital Sync / Sound Card Question

Hi... As I am putting together some stand alone gigastudio pc\'s - I am wondering what to do about soundcards. I run a completely digital studio with a houseclock (aardsync).

The question is... if I save money and buy a card without word in (like Fronteir or Gina) and rely on the gigas getting the sync over adat, will I run into serious digital clicks/pops/bad sync? (Versus spending much more for the Hammerfall - the only card I know that has the word in.... I guess a second question to anyone would be ... is there another gsif compatable card with word in that is cheaper???) I would prefer to buy the cheaper card and am hoping that sending clock down the adat pipe will be adequate. Anyone out there have experience or advice with this???

Go Back to forum