• Register
  • Help

Topic: You are building a Giga Box, what componenents are you going to use....

Share/Bookmark

You are building a Giga Box, what componenents are you going to use....

I have decided that my current box is too much trouble to run my GigaStudio setup. It has the dreaded AMD chipset. Can you say *Snap* ~Crackle~ -|- POP -|- ?

I want to build a system from scratch. I am fairly knowledgeable about the components inside and have installed Memory, CPU\'s and other H/W accessories.

What components would you put in a box to make the most of Giga?

Thanks

[img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: You are building a Giga Box, what componenents are you going to use....

Hi Mike, sorry if I\'m stating the obvious or if you have already tried this, but have you updated the BIOS and the chipset itself? I have an AMD with a VIA chipset and have no problems at all.

I do remember seeing an update for VIA chipsets that was specifically audio related.

Cheers, Scott.

hi- i just built my first giga box for under 1,000 it has an P4 2.4, 2,048 Meg DDR ram (even though Current Giga does not use it all) 2each WD harddrives, one 60 gig 8 meg cache (for aplications), and one 120 gig also 8 meg cache for samples, my old radeon 32 meg ddr vcard, Maudio audiophile sound card, 52X cd rom and, 16X DVD. I\'m in the process of tweaking out the system for optimal performance but things seem pretty stable for the momment [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] hope this helps!
    ( oh i\'m running XP PRO )

I just got these components for a giga box I\'m building:

ASUS A7N266-VM with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+

This is a mini-atx board, trying to keep things as small as possible. Uses an nforce chipset with integrated video and lan. Very cheap too, just hope it won\'t give me any troubles.

Will be adding a WD 80 gig HD with 8 meg cache and 1 gig of ram and a cdr drive for backup.

All this costs me a little over 500 euros, pretty cheap IMO for a system like this.

Originally posted by žETH:
    ( oh i\'m running XP PRO )
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Seth,
    Was there a good reason you choose XP Pro rather than XP Home? Pro seems to have more administrative/multiuser/security function XP Pro vs. Home Comparison Is there something about the Pro version that you think is better suited to Giga? Thanks,

Just remember that it\'s not the AMD part of it that cause problems, it\'s the VIA chipset. Stick with AMD, because you\'ll save a lot of money, and many people have problems with Pentiums. I recommend the ECS k7s5a motherboard. I think this has been discussed before, but this motherboard only has ONE chip onboard instead of two (northbridge and southbridge) which lets you use the FULL bandwidth of PCI slots (as in your soundcard). I get 160 polyphony without breaking a sweat, AND I\'m running Sonar with multiple audio tracks on the same machine. If you want more specs on my machine, PM me.

Hey the reason i chose XP pro to XP home is because you can not network your giga machines on the XP home computer. if you are only going to use one computer than home would probably be fine [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just built a system with an AMD 2100 XP with an Abit KD7-E and Via KT333 chipset. The KD7-E is a clean board without any integrated junk.

It works better than my Intel system ever did and much cheaper.

I\'m using an Audiophile 2496 and Windows 98. I hate Windows XP because it\'s a pain to change hardware because of the stupid activation process.

Originally posted by insbarmy:
    I just built a system with an AMD 2100 XP with an Abit KD7-E and Via KT333 chipset. The KD7-E is a clean board without any integrated junk.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not all that is integrated is necessarily \"junk\".

Go Back to forum