• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Help on building a GigaStudio dedicated computer

Share/Bookmark

Help on building a GigaStudio dedicated computer

It\'s about time for me to consider moving my Giga stuff to a separate PC. I\'m using one PC for everything (email, surfing, web design, gaming, music).. and it\'s just not working out too well [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Most of my drivers/apps hate the Delta Audiophile drivers as well as the GigaStudio DLLs.

So I\'m gonna start shopping around and pricing hardware. I\'m pretty experienced with building towers, but I\'ve zilch experience with rackmounts. Should I even build a rackmount machine when I don\'t have a rack? I just want to take up the least space possible.

How are custom-built rack machines structured? What form-factor are they? (ATX, miniATX?) Can I put standard PCI cards in them, if so, how many?

Any information will be helpful. I don\'t have a rack, so if I should just build a mid-tower or tower, let me know.

Thanks, guys!

Re: Help on building a GigaStudio dedicated computer

I have had some experience with these guys - though not with rack cases. http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cases---case-fans.html

If you look at their specs, rack mount cases are no different than any standard case - as far as their features go.

If you really don\'t need one, I would think twice. They, on average, hold fewer drives, don\'t have as good cooling characteristics or flexibility, have fewer ports, are more expensive, ... But, if you need one, you need one (they are cool).

I probably don\'t need to get a rack machine then.

So, any advice on a good AMD setup that Giga will be OK with? Are VIA motherboards ok yet? What about the new nVidia chipset motherboards? Don\'t try to talk me into Pentium [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'m dead set on Athlon.. they\'re excellent and very affordable.

I think the motherboard is the big issue. Then I\'ll probably slap Win2000 on that machine, and that\'ll be my new Giga workstation. Is SCSI a necessity? I run GigaStudio right now with IDE and it works just fine. One hard drive only, too.

Thanks!

Personally I absolutely HATE the amount of space those big towers take up. Even a midi tower is huge, IMO.

Have you considered building a mini-atx system? You can put one together real cheap.

SCSI is not necessary, and any recent via chip should be fine although I went with nforce1 for my giga pc.

Rack cases are really great if you have a well-vented rack to put them in and if you have the money to spend on them... they\'re much more expensive than tower or desktop cases in general.

As far as the innards are concerned, I also recently moved GS to its own computer. I was having timing problems juggling GS, Cakewalk ProAudio, and Sound Forge 5 all running at the same time on the same computer. So, I left my main music machine the way it is, and set up GS in its own environment. It\'s working out beautifully. But, I\'m probably not using GS the way most people do - I use it just like any other sound module, nothing fancy. I got an AMD Athlon 700MHz Slot1 with Shuttle AI61 motherboard together for $59.00 from TigerDirect. The Shuttle has an AMD-751/756 chipset and Award V4.51PG BIOS. I added 512Mb RAM, external TASCAM 624 SCSI CD-R, internal IDE CD-ROM, an 8.4Gb HDD as my C: drive and a WD 80GB 7200 ATA100 as my D: drive for gigs, and a SB Live card - will upgrade the soundcard very soon since it\'s the weakest link in the system. The computer connects to my main music machine via MAudio Portman MIDI interface, with the soundcard\'s audio ins/outs going directly to mixer. I dedicated port 4 on the main machine\'s 4-port MIDI interface to be the output to the GS machine\'s MIDI port input. Basically, I trigger the sounds on the GS machine via MIDI from Cakewalk running on the main machine, just like triggering my other synth sound modules. Works beautifully. And I don\'t have to worry about timing issues or hard drive space. Hope this helps with your situation.

I have no problem putting all my audio stuff (SoundForge, Sonar, GigaStudio) on one machine. It\'s just that mixing those apps (esp. GigaStudio) with stuff like Norton AntiVirus, games, etc., seems to really foul things up. I want to move them to their own machine and use a KVM to switch over to that computer to do audio work.

I have no problem getting an ATX or mini-ATX. My main problem is, what types of chipsets to avoid? I hate VIA, and the soonest chance I get, I\'m changing my main work/fun computer to an nVidia chipset instead. But for the audio machine... no clue what to get. All I require is an Athlon for the CPU.. so no Intel chipsets. What are my options?

Thanks, guys!

Hey MDesigner,

This may be of little or no help because I do not actually have giga on the computer I am running. However, I do have Cubase, Soundforge, Reason, among other music application so...

I have an AMD processor that used to have a VIA chipset, what a disaster with audio. I have since aquired an ASUSA7S333 motherboard with the sis chipset. It has made a rather large difference (no more pops and clicks).

Hope this may help some. But hey what do I know.

John

p.s. I gave some of the music on your site a listen. Very impressive work especially for having it all on one machine.

john,

Thanks for the tip! That\'s all I needed to hear. I\'ll check into the SiS chipset, and others. And thanks for the compliment!

I found this deal.. would this be a good system to build on (mostly it needs more RAM and more HD space):

Dell PowerEdge600SC P4-2.4Ghz/533Bus 128MB DDR/40GB 7200 IDE HD, 48x CD, Embedded Gigabit Ethernet, No OS 1yr on-site warranty $499 - $110 instant discount - 5% off coupon - $100 rebate = $269.55 shipped free.

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    john,
    Dell PowerEdge600SC P4-2.4Ghz/533Bus 128MB DDR/40GB 7200 IDE HD, 48x CD, Embedded Gigabit Ethernet, No OS 1yr on-site warranty $499 - $110 instant discount - 5% off coupon - $100 rebate = $269.55 shipped free.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Seems pretty cheap to me, but I thought you wanted AMD? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Sam,

Check this one out. I\'m seriously considering going this route myself for my next machine. I find the small size and liquid cooling attractive. Add a small LCD display and it could even be a gig rig.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sku=s451-3032

There are other variations on this box, some much more powerful, if you need more cpu horsepower. See the Shuttle site for more ...

Regards,
    Trond

Go Back to forum