• Register
  • Help

Topic: No success with audio drivers on P4 with W98SE

Share/Bookmark

Re: No success with audio drivers on P4 with W98SE

I think the consensus in the overall audio world is that XP is the OS of choice. I’ve certainly found that to be true.

2000 and XP are not significantly different. You’ll also need XP when you upgrade VST to SX.

Besides, you can play back CDs just fine with the Audiophile. Any modern playback software works with the IDE cable rather than a cable from sound card to CD-ROM.

Bill,

I\'m looking into what you mentioned about being able to play CD\'s through the A2496. So far no luck. I\'ll email Midiman and see what they say.

I\'m not too experienced in these things but I think maybe normal audio support is disabled on the motherboard. For instance \'enable digital CD audio\' is grayed out in Multimedia Setup, there are no volume controls/properties panels available, and a number of PCI devices are driver-less including \'PCI Multimedia Audio Device\'. According to Dell there are no drivers under Win98SE.

Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot to ask:

Is windows XP really the OS of choice for those of us for whom latency is an important factor?

I know it isn\'t an issue for everyone, but in my case where I\'m playing and recording primarily piano, getting 10-11ms latency tops is crucial.

Thanks.

No success with audio drivers on P4 with W98SE

I recently picked up a Dell Dimension 2350 P4 1.8Ghz machine and installed Windows 98SE on it. Mostly I\'m very happy with the machine running Giga and VST with an Audiophile 2496 card.

The one snag is that there don\'t appear to be any audio drivers available for a P4 that will work with Win98SE. I\'d like onboard audio for playing back CD\'s I\'ve burned- on the same system for comparison purposes.

A Dell tech said there are audio drivers available for Windows 2000 but I\'ve got no experience with that OS. And I don\'t want to use XP, which the system came with, because of latency issues I\'ve seen discussed here.

If anyone knows of a compatible audio driver, or has any other suggestions I\'d appreciate it.

michael88s

There’s an article in the February SoundOnSound called Windows XP: One Year on. Check it out.

Thanks Bill, I\'ll look for it..

Go Back to forum