• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vertigo50....Q re: 2003 survey regarding your config

Share/Bookmark

Vertigo50....Q re: 2003 survey regarding your config

Hi Vertigo,

Did you build, or have someone custom build your cpu?

thanks

Re: Vertigo50....Q re: 2003 survey regarding your config

Custom-built myself, why?

Hi Vertigo,

It seems more are managing giga co-existing on the same machine as sequencing softwarem, But I don\'t recall 160 poly with everthing on one PC. You must be thrilled.

How does one go about choosing the right system board, i.e. ECS K7s5a?

Thanks,
    Joanne

I\'m extremely thrilled. As for choosing the board, I did a lot of research on the internet. I also have a friend who is a Computer Engineer, and when I explained that I needed as much bandwidth as possible for the PCI slots (and therefore, the sound card) he recommended the SiS 730 chipset. Then I just figured out which mobo with that chipset had the best performace, price, features, etc.

Go with the K7s5a, you won\'t be disappointed.

Thanks. I\'m in the process of buying a new PC to run cubase sx, and maybe even gigasampler. Wonder if there is anything off the shelf that has that board? To someone who has built custom, I bet custom assembly seems very straight foward, but I\'m trying to limit headaches and not sure I want to undertake building from the ground up.

Do you think there is anything being offered retail that looks ok to you?

Thanks,

My honest advice, build it yourself. It took me about 3-4 hours from having all of the parts to a complete machine the FIRST time I built my own PC, and I was taking my time with everything, so that I wouldn\'t make mistakes. The second and third machines I built took less than an hour.

I can point you to numerous websites that walk you through the process, and I\'d be glad to help you too.

Nothing compares to the knowledge you\'ll get by putting together your own machine. After that, you\'ll know how everything works, and be able to solve most of your own problems.

By the way, a little known fact about building your own computer: It\'s REALLY REALLY easy. In the past, it was extremely difficult. Nowadays, you basically plug Tab A into Slot B and Tab C into Slot D, turn it on and install the Operating System.

PM me if you need help.

Take the plunge!!

Hi Vertigo,

I think you are right - building the PC myself is the route to take. It\'s clear that ongoing upgrades of hardware/software will only increase as everything moves to the PC - and it degrades the entire Computer-based music \"experience\" to be dependant on others each time its time to move forward and expand.

A PM is on its way. I would be very thankful for any help you can lend for this first build.

Go Back to forum