• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will this system be good enough for a standalone gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Will this system be good enough for a standalone gigastudio

I have one 2.0ghz comp with 1024 ddr ram which I now have both the sequencer and gigastudio on. I have another comp which is a 733mhz with 512 mb sdram, i was thinking of using it as a suplement to the other comp. Will 733mhz be enough for gigastudio only?
    I will still use my 2.0ghz to use gigastudio and sequencer.

Forget my bad english.

Thanx

Re: Will this system be good enough for a standalone gigastudio

Yeah, no problem, but add more ram maybe... Anyway, will still work correctly with a decent sound card

My P3 800 with 1gb ram gets an unwavering 160 voices. Your spec is very close to that. 512mb ram simply means a few less instruments are loadable (you can tell how much of a problem that will be by looking at your ram usage on the 2ghz machine). Hard drive rpm and seek time are important in determining polyphony. Slower drives (5400 or less) mean lower possible polyphony.

My guess is you\'ll be fine [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi, I have an Athlon XP 2000 as my main DAW with 1gig of ram. My second DAW is an old PIII/500mHz with 448 meg of ram. It handles things just fine.

If you can, try and place shorter samples like percussion and drums on your slower machine as they shouldnt take up as much ram.

Big things like string libraries and synth sounds that have sweeping LFO\'s etc are best left on the more powerful machine to make use of the greater ram and more powerful CPU.

Cheers, Scott.

Right now....I currently have one computer. I\'m making it a gaming/music station for the moment due to lack of money for a whole new computer (considering gigastudio, samples, etc...cost lots of money). Here\'s my current setup (main components):

MSI N-Force 2 K7N2-L Motherboard
    Antec True Power 430watt Power Supply
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred
    512MB DDR 333 Samsung RAM
    Coolermaster HAC V-81 Heatsink
    Western Digital BB 40GB 7200 RPM
    Maxtor 40GB 5400 RPM
    MSI Geforce 4 Ti4400 VTD
    M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum w/ Live Drive
    Boston Acoustics BA7500 Dolby Surround SST 4.1 System
    Sennheiser HD 580 Headphones

I planned on upgrading the processor to a 2400+, get TWO 120GB WD Special Editions, and another stick of 512MB DDR333 RAM.

will this be enough to make a respectable gigastudio machine? Should I put even more ram into it? From what I\'m told (by computer enthusiasts), more RAM doesn\'t necessarily speed up your computer, it can actually slow it down going through all the ram sticks (CAS 2.5 or whatever). Do you see a major slowdown difference in computer performance with loads of RAM?

Also...what would you say about the two soundcards. I actually run 3 sound sources. My Audiophile 2496, SBLive 5.1, AND the onboard occasionally when needed. Can this create a nightmare with gigastudio? I could disable the sblive, but is it better to pull it out? Also...I don\'t have any studio monitors, and will need to do special configurations with wiring on my current speakers considering they are only digital output, not analog. (that\'s why I use the SBLive).

Sorry for so many questions. I\'m learning as always. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jared

will this be enough to make a respectable gigastudio machine? Should I put even more ram into it? From what I\'m told (by computer enthusiasts), more RAM doesn\'t necessarily speed up your computer, it can actually slow it down going through all the ram sticks (CAS 2.5 or whatever). Do you see a major slowdown difference in computer performance with loads of RAM?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Definetely good enough. Actually what you have now is a respectable machine. Depending on the type of music you are doing (and this plays a big part) you could produce most types of music short of a full orchestra. Having a computer slowing down from more ram sticks is a bit far fetched IMO. If it did it would be nano-seconds. Definetely get more ram as you can load more apps and more samples all at once. When I upgraded from 512 to 1gig I had to slow the CAS latency down from 2 to 2.5 (because of incorrect advertising on the ram stick sold) I really havent noticed any degradation in performance. CAS 2 is probably more useful and noticeable in gaming.

Also...what would you say about the two soundcards. I actually run 3 sound sources. My Audiophile 2496, SBLive 5.1, AND the onboard occasionally when needed. Can this create a nightmare with gigastudio? I could disable the sblive, but is it better to pull it out?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think Windows would have more of a fit than Giga running three sound cards! If you are gonna disable the SB Live you might as well rip it out. I have my onbaord sound disabled and run everything through a Delta 44. Games, CD\'s, whatever. Therea are multi client cards around (and I think from memory the 2496 is one of them) but you are probably best off to try and fix your speaker issues and run one card.

Cheers, Scott.

Thanks a lot! I\'ll look into it. (probably just do it...HA) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jared

Thanx guys

\"If you can, try and place shorter samples like percussion and drums on your slower machine as they shouldnt take up as much ram.\"

Not nessesarily. All samples, long or short take up the same amount of RAM. The amount of samples is what counts. A very dense, chromatic, multi velocity percussion instrument could take up more RAM (for buffering) than a simple instrument with real long samples. It is possible for a percussion instrument that is 300 megs (zillions of hits) to use more RAM than a 1 gigabyte organ or piano. (less samples though longer)

Hope this helps
    Dave

Go Back to forum