• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please recommend a DVD/CD burner

Please recommend a DVD/CD burner

With all these new DVD libraries out there, I need to upgrade to a reliable DVD/CD burner that will be my only source of WR in my main computer. Could you please recommend a specific brand and model? Is two in one ok or getting separate machines better?
    Thanks a million [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Please recommend a DVD/CD burner

If all the DVD/CD writers are like the Apple Superdrive, which is a Pioneer mechanism, then the only problem is that they don\'t read or write CDs very quickly. It\'s not supposed to be a good idea to write audio CDs at high speeds anyway (because the error rate goes up and they don\'t sound as good - 4x is supposed to be the max), so that may or may not be a factor.

But for audio CDs that aren\'t critical or for data CDs, you might be happier with a faster CD-RW. It\'s also useful having two in case you need to make (legal!) copies. They\'re pretty cheap these days.

Hi, Patrick:

Take a look at the Sony DRU500A(x), it does all formats. I am not sure, but do recall that it won\'t work on MACs. So if that matters to you, check the specs.

Frys often has sales on DVD burners as well. They\'re in the $200 range these days.

Too bad the DVD-Audio authoring software is still so costly. It\'ll be nice when that\'s affordable for distributing/archiving 24-bit, 192kHz surround audio.

One thing to consider is an external Firewire/USB2 drive. That was you can move it from machine to machine as needed, and you can access it from your desk - even if the PC is somewhere else. I use the HP DVD200e here at work. I haven\'t tried all of the possible CD formats, but it\'s been reliable for those that I have tried.

Thanks to all for these usefull suggestions.
    Much appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum