• Register
  • Help

Topic: Computer cases and quick question....

Share/Bookmark

Computer cases and quick question....

Hey gang- I\'m thinking of getting a new PC case to make things a bit more quiet and I\'m looking at this oneAntec Sonata Any luck with them? (I saw it on another website for about half the cost here)
    I also had a question about what type of device I might need to record an acustic guitar in real time(must I use a mic?) if so, what are some suggestions? (can I plug and play somehow?) Sorry if this is a generic Question, my expertise is elsewhere [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thanks for your input!

Re: Computer cases and quick question....

I don\'t know about that particular case, but it looks fine. I\'ve used an Antec case and power supply in my current systems for three years running now and I\'ve never had a problem. From what I saw it does come with a 380W power supply so it sounds like a pretty good deal, though I\'m not sure if the rear fan in all pictures come with it or not. The washable filter and removable drives would be the clincher for me, as it beats compressed air shooting the dust back into the air.

Looks good -- I\'ve got the link saved for future reference in case I don\'t find something better when I expand my systems.

Thanks.

Hey Seth,

I\'m no mic expert, but unless your acoustic has pickups you\'ll need one. I\'d imagine that you\'ll get better results with a microphone than by recording direct with an acoustic anyway (direct meaning going pickups -> preamp -> recording).

As far as which mic to use, someone else could probably give you better advice. If pressed I\'d say go condenser though if you have the option.

Thanks again for those XP tweaks btw. I still got crashes last night, but I then again I was running Gigastudio and Reaktor at the same time :-p. Don\'t ask why.

Hope this helps! Hopefully someone here who has more experience can further enlighten both of us.

-Matt

Hey Seth,

I\'m no mic expert, but unless your acoustic has pickups you\'ll need one. I\'d imagine that you\'ll get better results with a microphone than by recording direct with an acoustic anyway (direct meaning going pickups -> preamp -> recording).

As far as which mic to use, someone else could probably give you better advice. If pressed I\'d say go condenser though if you have the option.

Thanks again for those XP tweaks btw. I still got crashes last night, but I then again I was running Gigastudio and Reaktor at the same time :-p. Don\'t ask why.

Hope this helps! Hopefully someone here who has more experience can further enlighten both of us.

-Matt

Hey Matt-
    Glad I was able to help out. there are so many reasons which may be causing you to crash, but that file I sent helped a bunch when I built my first system. How much ram are you using? Also are you using AMD or Pentium? P-chips tend to run cooler and more stable than AMD. Your HD may be fragmented or maybe is a 5400 speed (you should be using at least 7200) , I could go on for an hour trying to limit down, but try the tweak, and let me know if you\'re still having issues [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thanks for your input so far guys!!!

I just used an AKG 414 to capture a sweet, warm acoustic guitar. I set the pad at 150Hz with a hemispherical pattern and kept the mic about 7-8 inches, off-axis, just on the edge of the sound hole. I\'ve heard a billion times not to mic right in front of the sound hole, but after spending almost 2 hours on the placement, it was the right spot. I guess it totally depends on the mic and the guitar. Don\'t know about cases, but I\'d look into replacing the fan before the case, as that is usually the big noise producer in computers and you can pick one up cheap, specially designed to be quiet.

I posted the following about my \"Silent PC\" on the Tascam forum. Check it out...

http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25655

One difference is that today, I would probably go with the Thermalright SLK-900U heatsink over the Zalman.

Antek makes some quiet supplies, but take a look at the power supply I used. It\'s cheap and excellent. A rare combination! This should be roughly as silent as the Antec case for a fraction of the cost.

If you can\'t get the PC out of the room, it\'s nice to be able to get the dang thing to shutup! :-)

Go Back to forum