• Register
  • Help

Topic: USB MIDI with Giga?

Share/Bookmark

USB MIDI with Giga?

I gotta ask this question again and I\'m hoping someone has a fairly solid idea about this issue. Namely, what is the issue with USB MIDI and Giga? I\'ve heard a few cryptic comments but that doesn\'t help. I\'d love to buy 2 or 3 Micro Expresses (Motu) mostly because it matches all my other Motu stuff which works flawlessly on the Mac side. I\'ve heard it\'s not so rosy on the Windows side, but is this a USB issue or a Motu driver issue? (or both?)

I guess I wouldn\'t even care if it wasn\'t for the time stamping of Motu USB interfaces. Might come in handy for those 200+ rhythm track blowouts (just kidding) about the 200 tracks that is, not the accuracy of time stamping.

Barring information about this issue perhaps someone could just tell me what does work well with giga.

Thanks a bunch

Re: USB MIDI with Giga?

maybe you allready know this, but just to
    prevent you from spending money and tehn find
    out afterwards:

If you have your Giga on a seperate PC - use
    MidiOverLan instead of a hardware interface.
    Its faster, its cheaper, its better in my
    experience.

regs.
    Bjarne

Originally posted by esteso:
    I gotta ask this question again and I\'m hoping someone has a fairly solid idea about this issue. Namely, what is the issue with USB MIDI and Giga? I\'ve heard a few cryptic comments but that doesn\'t help. I\'d love to buy 2 or 3 Micro Expresses (Motu) mostly because it matches all my other Motu stuff which works flawlessly on the Mac side. I\'ve heard it\'s not so rosy on the Windows side, but is this a USB issue or a Motu driver issue? (or both?)

I guess I wouldn\'t even care if it wasn\'t for the time stamping of Motu USB interfaces. Might come in handy for those 200+ rhythm track blowouts (just kidding) about the 200 tracks that is, not the accuracy of time stamping.

Barring information about this issue perhaps someone could just tell me what does work well with giga.

Thanks a bunch
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Michael

MOTU MIDI Time Stamping won\'t make any difference at all at the PC end. MTS is a protocol for comunication between DP/OSX Core Midi and a MOTU interface so it means nothing to Giga or any other PC app AFAIK.

I have two Giga PCs and use Midiman Midisport USB interfaces on both. They have worked fine since the last update to Giga although there is a few ms of MIDI latency. Previous to this there were problems with the infamous Giga \"Conexant Wavestream\" error relating to Midisport Interfaces and RME hardware. I think a few are still suffereing from this but there are workarounds.

I\'ve tried an Edirol USB interface with Giga and I think MIDI latency was a little better than with the Midiman interfaces. I don\'t remember seeing mention of any problems with these interfaces either, Conexant Wavestream error or otherwise.

The latency you get with USB interfaces in Windows XP is fine for orchestral instruments in my experience. I\'m not so sure about drums and percussion and would rather have these running sample accurately in Logic.

Originally posted by Sapkiller:
    maybe you allready know this, but just to
    prevent you from spending money and tehn find
    out afterwards:

If you have your Giga on a seperate PC - use
    MidiOverLan instead of a hardware interface.
    Its faster, its cheaper, its better in my
    experience.

regs.
    Bjarne
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Does this work between a Mac and PC or is it PC only? I\'m assuming Michael is sequencing on a Mac.

Bjarne

Yes, I\'m sequencing on a Mac so MOL does not work for me (yet)

Dave

This is very useful stuff and is about what I finally got out of Dave Roberts (Magic Dave) over at Motu. He said there used to be issues with USB interfaces and giga in general but they have been fixed. Now Motu USB interfaces work just fine on the PC side but, as you said, there are no time stamping advantages.

Is that really true about MTS working only with CoreMidi? That\'s interesting. I was laboring under the impression that we could get the same benefits from time stamping in OS9, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for pointing out that I\'ll be much better off doing the rhythmic stuff over on the Mac. (sample accurate) This makes total sense.

Michael

Any OSX music app can make use of the time stamping of any midi interface that has MTS and a Core Midi driver. Logic could take advantage of MTS on a MOTU interface for example.

This from Digidesign...
    \" MIDI Time Stamping (MTS) support provides sample-accurate MIDI with Pro Tools-compatible software synths and samplers, eliminating the possibility of compromised sync and drift issues. Also, you can take advantage of up to sub-millisecond-accurate MIDI with Digidesign\'s MIDI I/O and other supported MTS-capable interfaces\"

Other supported interfaces being from Emagic and Edirol with MOTU interfaces expected to work.

Go Back to forum