- RME Digi 9652
    - TC Powercore

And running:

- Cubase SX
    - Nuendo
    - WaveLab
    - GStudio
    - Kontakt

I\'ve been reading up about WinXP tweaks, and have decided on everything with one question remaining unanswered.

Should I use NTFS or FAT(32)?

Thanks for any advice!

Lawrence

Re: NTFS or FAT(32)

Isn\'t it obvious? 3 80GB hardrives....and you\'ve thought about FAT32. HA! For one, NTFS is more stable, and two....it can actually read your hardrives at 80GB. FAT32 is old skool. NTFS hands down. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Jared

Isn\'t it obvious? 3 80GB hardrives....and you\'ve thought about FAT32.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well no, actually it\'s not obvious, that\'s why I\'m asking. Some DAW tweaks say go with NTFS and some say go with FAT(32), so I\'m trying to get some clarification.

HA! For one, NTFS is more stable, and two....it can actually read your hardrives at 80GB. FAT32 is old skool. NTFS hands down. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The 80GIG drive size is not an issue with FAT(32) as reference at http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Lawrence

Hi, NTFS is considered more stable and offers more security options if you require them. It is considered marginally slower than FAT but shouldnt be an issue with the fast IDE drives these days. NTFS is better for reading large partitions and is generally for \"industrial strength\" use.

One thing to keep in mind, if you ever need to put the drive in a Win 9X system (95,98,ME) they can\'t read NTFS at all.

FAT is a fairly outdated file system really. It stands for File Allocation Table and was originally created for floppy disks.

Regards, Scott.

Hmmm you can\'t make partitions as big as 80GB with FAT32. At least XP won\'t allow me to do it - so either you have to make multiple partitions or use NTFS.

Simon,

Interesting.

What does the chart mean, then, when it says that the max. volume size for both NTFS and FAT32 is 2TB? (For FAT it is 2GB).

( see http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm )

Is the volume size an OS limitation?

I\'m not disagreeing with what you\'ve said, just trying to understand.

I am going to try NTFS.

Regards,

Lawrence

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Go with NTFS unless you\'re swapping drives with a W9x machine. Use standard cluster sizes for your OS drive, and the largest available cluster sizes for your audio streaming drives. This will cut your disk capacity slightly (the occasional \"small\" file will take up more room), but your disk cache will obtain data in larger/fewer \"bites,\" and stream large samples a tiny bit more efficiently. Every tiny bit helps!!

Yes the partition size for FAT32 is an OS limitation..

Format it self can take a 80gb fat32 partition, but for some reason OS will not allow you to do that...
    I think the limit is 34Gb or 40Gb...not sure, but I belive it was something like that...check it on the net..

go with ntfs....

Alex

Use standard cluster sizes for your OS drive, and the largest available cluster sizes for your audio streaming drives.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OK. Thanks. That\'s very helpful and makes sense. What do you mean by \"standard cluster size\"? Would that be the default?

My understanding is that when you format the partition manually, you can specify cluster size as 512 bytes, 1 KB, 2 KB, 4 KB, 8 KB, 16 KB, 32 KB, 64 KB.

The default for WinXP with an 80GB drive would be 4KB.

So are you suggesting 4KB for the OS drive, and 64KB for audio drives? (Also what about the GStudio/Kontakt/SoftSynth, Atmosphere etc. drive? Should I treat this as an audio drive?)

Thanks. This stuff is not sexy stuff - it is set it, leave it, forgetaboutit, until the next upgrade. However, still important, IMHO.

I\'m looking forward to the system - should arrive on Mon. A nice upgrade from my current computer.

Lawrence

You also can\'t have files over 4 gigs on fat32...you can with NTFS. Important factor if you ever work with high res video files and/or DVD images/authoring.
    -Hudson

Go Back to forum