• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Interface (8x). What do you recommend?

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Interface (8x). What do you recommend?

What MIDI interface do you use or recommend?

If it have a patchbay and/or merger feature, even better...

Re: MIDI Interface (8x). What do you recommend?

AMT8 or Unitor8 by Emagic - works. It may not be supported on PC yet, but it works.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And I think you can patch and do other \"strange things\" in software.

I like those interfaces, but i\'m afraid that emagic stop support them in windows (all my pc\'s are Windows)...

Motu has just released two new midi interfaces. Both work on Windows.

The Motu Express 128 provides 8 MIDI IN, 9 MIDI OUT, 128 MIDI channels and compatibility with all Macintosh and Windows software.

The Motu Micro Lite provides 5 MIDI IN, 5 MIDI OUT, 80 MIDI channels and compatibility with all Macintosh and Windows software. Large front-panel LEDs illuminate to indicate MIDI activity.

Check them out here.

If you can find a used Anatek SMP-7, that is a good one: it has a MTC to SMPTE converter in/out as a bonus, and it may have a Mac interface, not sure \'cause I don\'t use MAC stuff.

If you only have Mac, read no further, tho there may soon be a Mac version.

To my surprise, Midi Over Lan (MOL) works very well if you are using computers for sample players. Most mobos have LAN these days and a hub costs very little, as do routers. If you also use Hubi Loopback (free) you can use the hardware midi ins & outs of all your computers. If, for example, you had 4 computers and you put midi cables on each of the game/midi ports, that would give you 64 midi in-out hardware midi channels, plus all the internal soft midi ports provided by MOL.

my idea is to have MidiOverLan to interconnect all the pc\'s (3 at the moment), and have a 8x midi interface in one of them as a entry point.

I would love that the interface had some kind of patching, but most haven\'t or have only on standalone (not connected to the computer).

I\'m considering using also on the midi entry computer, or a custom build program (made by me) or jMax (a wonderful tool), to customize the midi...

At the moment, i\'m considering: Edirol UM880; Steinberg Midex 8; M-Audio 8x midisport; Motu express 128 and Motu express XT

The first one have amazing patching capabilities...

Go Back to forum