• Register
  • Help

Topic: how many midi ports?

how many midi ports?

Hi all!
    Can anybody please tell me if I there is a relation between the number of midi ports on the midi interface and the number of polyphonic voices? I am still using GS 32 and I would like to update to GS 96. Presently my midi in is my very old Soundblaster (0 latency). Do I have to get a midi interace and with how many ports?
    Thanks a lot,

Re: how many midi ports?

Hi Markus!
    Well, it\'s simple: For GS 96 you need two midi in / midi out, for GS 160 four. Just have a look in the product description [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
    Hope this helps,

And you don\'t need to connect to all of the ports. I generally work on a single port with multiple channels. When I need the 17th channel, it\'s on to port 2. Also, I\'ve got MidiOverLan, so I don\'t need more hardware ports to connect my sequencer PC to the Giga PC.

Is MIDISPORT 4*4 ok?

Hi Markus, I\'ve got a Midisport 4x4 running with cubase sx and gigastudio 160 and it\'s ideal. The midisport 4x4 lets you have 4 midi outputs(all of which are taken up by gigastudio), and 4 midi inputs.

Thanks! One more dumb question: Do I have to use all the inputs (plug keyboad first in 1 then in 2 etc.) to use all the outputs, or can I just keep my midi keyboard in the same input and use all midi channels and polyphonie that way?
    Thanks again.

I\'m only using one controller keyboard with the midisport and still can use all of the gigastudio outputs - polyphony is not dependent on the amount of midi outputs, the power of the computer dictates this.

...forgot to add - congratulations Markus!

...forgot to add - congratulations Markus!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks - I\'m very happy!

Go Back to forum