• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting a Mac...

Share/Bookmark

Getting a Mac...

Hey all-
    I just thought I\'d ask a few \"newbie\" questions about Macintoshes since I haven\'t touched one since I was in high school.
    I\'m going to be using a Mac at work soon and decided I should go ahead and get a Mac for my home studio, just to expand my way of thinking a bit.

I think the G4 that I\'ll be getting is 700 mhz with 640 RAM and OS 9. I\'m buying this computer from a friend, so I\'m not exactly sure of everything. I\'m going to have him email me the whole list of stuff when it gets closer to actual purchase time.

Should I upgrade to OS X?
    Should I get more RAM?
    I was thinking about making this just a Protools rig, would that be a good thing? I was looking at the Digi001 or 002...but I\'m not sure if this one has a firewire port on it or not.
    What other things should I upgrade, look into, or be wary of?

Thanks for any info!
    -zack

Re: Getting a Mac...

Originally posted by zquarles:
    Hey all-
    I just thought I\'d ask a few \"newbie\" questions about Macintoshes since I haven\'t touched one since I was in high school.
    I\'m going to be using a Mac at work soon and decided I should go ahead and get a Mac for my home studio, just to expand my way of thinking a bit.

I think the G4 that I\'ll be getting is 700 mhz with 640 RAM and OS 9. I\'m buying this computer from a friend, so I\'m not exactly sure of everything. I\'m going to have him email me the whole list of stuff when it gets closer to actual purchase time.

Should I upgrade to OS X?
    Should I get more RAM?
    I was thinking about making this just a Protools rig, would that be a good thing? I was looking at the Digi001 or 002...but I\'m not sure if this one has a firewire port on it or not.
    What other things should I upgrade, look into, or be wary of?

Thanks for any info!
    -zack
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Zack - a couple of questions before I throw my two bits in:

1. Is this G4 the 733Ghz model? If so, this is the \"digital audio\" PowerMac, and could be well suited for a lot of applications. (One way to check: does this unit have a \"Superdrive\" - an internal DVD burner?)

2. What would you use as your primary instruments - recording live instruments, samplers, or soft-synths?

Answer those questions, and I\'d be glad to help point a direction. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

x$

Go Back to forum