• Register
  • Help

Topic: new CPU, MB, & RAM - could really use some advice

Share/Bookmark

new CPU, MB, & RAM - could really use some advice

Currently I have a 1.9 P4 and with 768 RAM and an ASUS MB. I still don\'t have the moola yet for a second PC, but need more power for SX with Halion and other VSTi\'s.

Would it be worth swapping out my MB, CPU, and RAM and buying a CPU & MB combo (Asus P4B533-E Pentium«4 DDR with 3.06Ghz 478Pin 533FSB CPU w/Fan) and 1 gig of memory (two 512 MB PC 2100 266mhz)???? I can get all this for around $700-ish

Would that give me at lest 30% more power for use with Halion and VSTi\'s???? Would I really notice a big difference in extra CPU power? Worth the money? Any better or cheaper CPU, MB, and memory routes to go with?

Thank you VERY MUCH for any and all opinions.

Take care,

Sean Dockery
    www.quantum7.com

Re: new CPU, MB, & RAM - could really use some advice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by quantum7:
    [QB] Would it be worth swapping out my MB, CPU, and RAM and buying a CPU & MB combo (Asus P4B533-E Pentium«4 DDR with 3.06Ghz 478Pin 533FSB CPU w/Fan) and 1 gig of memory (two 512 MB PC 2100 266mhz)???? I can get all this for around $700-ish

Just my 2 cents... I would get a P4 2.8 and use the money saved for some faster ram (pc3200) and motherboard combo... I can not justify speed/price for a 2.8 and a 3.06 of the new P4 chips. Just get a motherboard that supports the 400 mhz ram and make sure is compatable with processors 3.2 and beyond. As far as compatibility options I\'m using P4 2.8 800mhz FSB with 2 gig DDR 3200 ram and Asus P4c800 moterboard with no troubles and I spent under what you wanted to spend and that was about 3-4 months ago, so I know prices are cheaper now.

Thank you SETH! I found a p4 2.8 CPU/MB combo http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product1026.html with the MB you mentioned for $457 that also supports PC 3200 memory. 1 gig should cost me about $190 http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product2430.html for a grand total of around $650.

Would I see a pretty good jump in power over what I have now?

THANKS!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sean
    www.quantum7.com

Make sure you get the c version of the processor. This supports hyperthreading. You may just want to opt for the 2.4 GHz with hyperthreading. You can get the motherboard and CPU for between $300 and $350 on if you get 865 or 875 chipset. Not much performance increast from 2.4 to 2.8. Both chipsets support the PC3200 memory.

Thanks Haydn! Ok, if 2.8 isn\'t going to get me much performance over a 2.4, then why should I even bother getting rid of my 1.9? Shouldn\'t the performance be noticable. I realize that the 1 gig of 3200 400mhz RAM should help quite a bit over my 2 year old 786 meg of cheap RAM that I am currently using. Without getting a second PC (until a couple of months) I am looking to get all I can out of one PC. I would like a 30% to 50% increase in processing power over my 2 year old 1.9 P4 with 786 RAM. HEEEEELP MEEEE! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You might want to look at the new Athlon Barton 3000 (2.17MHz) with 400MHz fsb. It\'s much cheaper than the 3200 (which is only a little faster) and probably comparable to a Pentium 2.8-3.0.

Athlon clock speed is much lower but they\'re more efficient. Also, Athlon boards tend to be cheaper.

It\'s always the same story, of course, but the new 64 bit chips are coming out very soon (Opteron already out) and this should cause a steep drop in prices across the current range.

I agree that if you hold on a bit and get hold of 400 dual channel memory that would be better (but it wouldn\'t do any good on your current mobo).

Also, I know you cited VSTis but the bottleneck with large samples is still the disk - might want to factor that into the equation.

Best bang would be: instead of swapping out components, buy new the components, add a case/power supply/hard disk, get a crossover cable and setup a peer-to-peer network, install FXTeleport (see other threads for details) and you now have a \'lot\' more power at around the same price; and you haven\'t thrown away what you already own.

I agree with Z6 on just spending the extra money and just building a 2nd machine. I\'m sort of partial to Intel as that\'s where I\'m employed!

Go Back to forum