• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Channels to Pyhsical Channels in Interface

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Channels to Pyhsical Channels in Interface

I\'m reposting this since I\'m not having much luck getting a response. I\'m trying to understand the relationship between midi channels and physical input output channels in an interface

I\'m having difficulty trying to figure out what kind and number of inputs/outputs in an interface, I need for my GS system.

If I want to play the samples through my digital board and recorder, how do I determine the correct number of inputs and outputs I need in the interface?

Does each sample require two discrete I/O channels to path out to the board? If you are playing multple samples....say one sample on each midi port of GS, does that mean that each port requires a stereo channel so if you were using all 4 MIDI ports at once you would need an 8 channel interface?

Is there any benefit to having more than 8 channels in the interface?

I have a Compaq workstation with P4/512/40GB and GS160.......a few samples loaded. I\'m driving it with a Fatar controller.

MIDI was never my long suit so all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Re: MIDI Channels to Pyhsical Channels in Interface

Thanks jc. I think you\'re right about the question being a little \"muddy\". All I\'m really trying to understand is how many ins and outs I need in an interface card. I use Cubase by the way but not for sequencing....just as a mixdown avenue from my digital board and recorder.

Guess I\'ll just get a MOTU or RME or something with as many digi ins and outs as I can, and experiment from there.

Thanks again for the reply

Larry

Try Frontier...the Wavecenter or the Dakota. You\'ll save money and they\'re a local company for you. Cheers, jc

Hey Larry, I think your question is so jumbled that you\'ve scared everyone off! You can drive the GS with midi eminating from the Fatar. You don\'t mention a sequencer. GS has 4 midi ports with 16 channels each. You can mix all 64 channels to 2 tracks out or split it up as much as your sound card can handle. You\'re really light in the memory department so I don\'t think yu\'re going to be able to play that many samples anyway. Hope this helps, jc

Go Back to forum