• Register
  • Help

Topic: Network Interface Cards

Network Interface Cards

Would someone recommend a brand of network interface cards for running GS 160 on two computers? One computer is a Pentium 4, 1.4 ghz and the other is a Pentium 3, 600 mhz. I don\'t know precisely what specifications I should look for when I shop for these items. Specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Network Interface Cards

I have two cheap $7 (u.s. approx) cards in my machines. Never had a problem with them. Many network cards on the market share the same chip anyway.

If you are likely to be using EWQLSO and/or FX Teleport, it might be worth getting Gigabit capable ethernet cards.

Thanks Scott.

What advantage do Gigabit capable ether net cards have over basic network cards?

I checked out the FX Teleport site, but I can\'t figure how it works. Does FX Teleport work
    with GigaStudio? Anyone using FX Teleport and GS on 2 or more computers?

Hi Marko, the new Gigabit cards can carry ten times more data than the current 100mbps cards. (They carry 1000mbps) so you can move more data over your network faster.

At the moment, FX Teleport works with VST instruments and FX. So from my sequencer (in my case, Cubase,) I could send a soft-synth over the network (via FX Teleoport) and let another computer on my network do the job of processing that instrument. You can also the same with FX, if you have say, a VST Reverb unit, you could give a computer on the network the job of processing reverb.

The great thing about the product is that you dont even need sound cards in your subsequent machines!

At the moment FX Teleport wont work with Giga but Max has said he is working on it.

Regards, Scott.

Forgot to add, people are using FX Teleport with EWQLSO currently since it plays out of a Kompakt (VST) engine.

The great thing about the product is that you dont even need sound cards in your subsequent machines!\"

That\'s the part I don\'t understand! How does this work?

Hmmm... Well I dont pretend to understand it down to the bits and bytes level but I\'ll have a crack... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Essentially, processing sound files or digital effects etc comes down to number crunching. As far as the computer is concerned it is dealing with numbers, we hear sounds, but the computer sees numbers.

All that FX Teleport is doing is sending a number crunching job over the network to another machine... So it is sending data whether that happens to be a reverb algorithm or a wav file or whatever... It only really becomes sound when it needs to leave our computer, travel through a sound card and to our amplifier. Even then it\'s probably electrical volts or something but I\'m not a technical boffin and dont really know. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What I do understand though is that FX Teleport gives us the option to distribute the processing load and it does it via a network interface.

Thanks for the brief on signal theory! I have a basic understanding of the computational and informational processing involved here. (Basic, but enough to pass muster.) What I\'d like to know is where and how the bits and bytes from from the second (slave computer) enter into the first computer so that both streams are converted to analog. How is the sound from the second computer routed back into the soundcard of the first computer? Does this cause any problems for the soundcard? How can the one soundcard process another audio stream that would seem to enter into it a little later than the native audio stream?

Hi Marko, well I think that FX Teleport functions as a wrapper, so for example, a VST instrument, whether it be on the host or slave or whatever is essentially a program anyway. I believe that FX Teleport \"wraps\" (highly technical term!) the VST plug-in and brings it back in as a bus (not sure) into your sequencer. From there everything leaves your sequencer to your sound card.

It might be worth looking on www.fxteleport.com as I think Max explains how it works. Or perhaps download his trial version and have a play with it. I personally havent used it yet, (will be buying it soon), but I have heard many good reports about it.

Thanks Scott.

Go Back to forum