• Register
  • Help

Topic: ATI Radeon conflict?

ATI Radeon conflict?

Hi, folk!
    I just installed an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card in my Gigasampler system (Intel P4 2Mhz, 1 Gig ram, Audiophile 24/96, 3 fast hard drives-75 and 50 GB) and found that a Giga performance setup, which had previously worked, no longer did. Instead of loading up with memory to spare, I got out of memory errors on the last couple of instruments. I pulled the ATI card back out, and went back to the build-in graphics adapter, and the performance once again loaded just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on here? Could there be some incompatibility between the ATI card and Gigasampler, or could the ATI card be goofing up my ram? Have any of you had similar problems?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Slithy Toves

Re: ATI Radeon conflict?

I don\'t know if this helps but I\'m using a Radeon 7000 and have had no probs.

There are some settings with some cards that let you utilise some of the system ram for the card. I have a Radeon card myself but cant remember if they do this.

You need to look in the settings of the BIOS but be very careful what you change.

Come to think of it, Radeon cards do come with a whole chunk of ram on the card itself so it really shouldnt be stealing system ram. My BIOS seems to set my Video card to PCI by default and I have to go in and change it to AGP. Not sure if anyone of this helps.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the card too. Even the drivers that come on the cd are out of date by the time you take the card home.

Thanks for your responses!

Downloading and installing the lastest driver was certainly a good call (and something I often forget). I did that, but it had no effect on the problem.

I also ran the system information summary and found that with the new card in I have 812 meg of available ram and without the card I have 821 meg. That small difference doesn\'t explain the problem, since without the card I can load not only the this particular performance, I can also load in more instruments over and above what the performance file loads. That tells me that even with the performance loaded I still have a couple of hundred meg of memory available.

I\'ll continue troubleshooting...

Watch out with drivers. I have a Radeon 8500 and the very latest drivers (well, as of a couple of months ago) caused a lot of audible \"chatter\" when moving windows around, etc. Rolling back to 8 or 9 month old drivers fixed it. Unfortunately, that\'s the way it is.

As far as sharing system memory -- I highly doubt it. Those cards have 64-128MB onboard, etc. Maybe there\'s a setting that I\'m not aware of for extending texture mapping out to system memory, and the default is some huge chunk. Don\'t know, but you can dig around the ATI control panel stuff and turn off all unnecessary advanced features (keep acceleration on, just turn off the fringe stuff that\'s used for gaming, etc.).

You can also try an older driver, as mentioned. BTW, you should first figure out how much memory is being consumed by the OS just after booting up (before running GS). Open \"task manager\" on NT/XP for that. For other OS\'s you may have to get 3rd party (e.g., TaskInfo2000). If your idle OS is eating hundreds of MB, then you definately have a problem.

The other thing I do is essentially ONLY install the Radeon drivers -- delete all the ATI applications (or only install the drivers), kill the \"ATI hotkey poller\" or whatever the hell it is, etc. If you see a little ATI icon in your icon tray, then I can tell you that you\'re running stuff that you don\'t absolutely need. Get rid of it, and clean your registry of anything under the \"Run\" key that references \"ATI\".

- Keith

I also ran the system information summary and found that with the new card in I have 812 meg of available ram and without the card I have 821 meg
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry, didn\'t see that the first time through...

Ah, I found the solution. Actually, a collegue of mine did. He suggested going into the BIOS and changing the \"AGP aperture size\". It had been set to 256 Mb and we changed it to 32 Mb. So far this appears to have fixed my Gigasampler ram problem without introducing any new problems.

We don\'t really understand this AGP aperture thing very well, but it has something to do with how the graphics card uses system ram.

Go Back to forum