• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ram limit

Share/Bookmark

Ram limit

Why does GS160 load fewer samples when I put more ram in my computer?

I have been using 1 gigabyte of ram ( P4, 2.8, 3 hard Seagate Barracuda drives, Gina24, W2K). One GSP file I use loads up 97% of system memory. It is quite stable. Today I added another 500 megs of ram (for a total of 1.5 gigs) and the same GSP will not load all of the files even though the system memory says 47%. GS reports \"unable to allocate memory for the instrument\".

I read somewhere that GS has a 1 gig limit when it comes to ram. But why would it load less when more ram is installed?

Is this a W2K limitation?

Re: Ram limit

Hi Marko, this is purely a guess, but it might be worth re-installing Giga now that you have more ram.

It\'s possible that Giga looks at the available ram address ranges upon installation.

Only a guess though! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marko, I have some ideas for you

I build these systems you know.

There is definately ways that you can fix this.

Because of the wide possibilities, I would rather you contact me by email or phone.

Take Care

Dave

Originally posted by dalamein:
    Marko, I have some ideas for you

I build these systems you know.

I just built a system for a client using 2GB Ram, and am utilizing every bit of it.

There is definately ways that you can fix this.

Because of the wide possibilities, I would rather you contact me by email or phone.

Take Care

Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Scott,

I re-installed GS, but the exact same thing occurs.

Why would more ram (even if it is in excess of GS limit) have this negative effect?

Any other ideas?

dalamein,

I emailed you and would like some suggestions.

Thanks

Marko

Because GS and W2K/XP is a weird combination.

Simon,

Thanks, but that does not explain much.

Is GS and W2k a weird combination precisely because of this problem?

If I did not have this problem, would you still say that GS and W2k is a weird combination?

Marko

gigastudio has definatly his limits.
    go to www.vsl.co.at /choose your language /formun / Gigastudio Topics there you find the thread (and other very interesting stuff) \"Memory and XP once again...\"
    take 1-2 hour reading time and follow the instructions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marko: It just seems like the conversion of GS to make it work under 2K/XP isn\'t very well done. Maybe because of some limits in the GSIF/Wavestream architecture I don\'t know. But I would say that people generally have a lot more issues with GS under XP/2K than 98....

Using half the installled memory under XP isn\'t exactly efficient, but my system just sits there and works. I\'m curious whether you\'ve personally tried XP, Simon, because I know you\'ve said this a few times and I don\'t understand it.

Go Back to forum