• Register
  • Help

Topic: New PC with XP; need cheap card

Share/Bookmark

New PC with XP; need cheap card

I am first and foremost a web design, print advertising and video editing type of person, but over the years I have enjoyed GigaStudio as a hobby on my old P3 700 with an original SB Live.

I am building a new \"for fun\"/hobby-oriented PC for a few games and messing with GS160 and the like, but want to spend most of my money on an Athlon64 3200, a gig of ram and a large hard drive. So the barebones of the PC will be plenty strong enough.

That said, what is a nice, cheap sound card option for my XP setup?

I do have an Audigy MP3+ laying around that I could pop in there. Would the kX Project drivers be sufficient enough to work with this?

I will rarely, if ever, do anything but capture some wavs within GS160. I mean, this is only a hobby... and the limited \"professional\" use will be with some Macromedia Flash web sites which crunches the sound anyway.

So, would these kX drivers be fine, or should I look elsewhere? The cheaper the better since I want to put the current budget into the processor, mobo and such.

I searched for plenty of topics on this, but they\'re all around 8 months old minimum.

Thanks in advance.

Re: New PC with XP; need cheap card

M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 -- cheap, good sound, good drivers, low latency -- we use it in our base units.

M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 -- cheap, good sound, good drivers, low latency -- we use it in our base units.

I\'ve heard of some past problems with Audiophile 2496 drivers. Has all of that been sorted out? I\'ll be using XP Home. And will switch to XP 64-bit when it\'s out.

I basically need something no more expensive than that... $150 is my absolute maximum breaking point since I\'m trying to build a whole Athlon64 system from scratch.

Thanks, all.

Sorry about the double post -- not quite sure what happened there. If you use the WDM ver 5.10.0.27 drivers you will be fine. The .29 ones seem to have problems.

Thanks a million. I\'ll probably go with this one.

Hi there,
    M-Audio Announces AMD Athlon 64 Processor Compatibility

For details,
    http://m-audio.com/news/php/amd_64.php

I\'d like to say \"Thank you very much M-Audio.\"
    But also we need to hear same from Nemesys\'s (Tascam) GigaStudio 64-bit support.

Go Back to forum