• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Initialization Problem When Connected to LAN

Share/Bookmark

Initialization Problem When Connected to LAN

We\'re running Giga 2.54 on a WinXp Home machine. Giga works just fine as long as the machine is NOT connected to our LAN. As soon as the machine is connected to the LAN, Giga reports trouble initializing properly and will not run (except in diagnostic mode). The XP machine itself works fine on the LAN.

I know this problem has been around a while, but I can\'t find any messages on the board dealing with it. Sorry if I\'m rehashing topics.

Any fixes for this? It would be great for file sharing and back-up to have the Giga machine connected to the LAN. However, it\'s too big a pain to have to disconnect it everythime we run Giga (that\'s all the machine is used for).

Thanks!

Re: Initialization Problem When Connected to LAN

Hmm...

I don\'t know. This is definitely a stumper.

Do you run a diagnostic? If so, is there anything which looks out of place when you run it?

Have you tried hot-plugging as a temporary workaround--start up the XP machine, then GS, then plug in the network cable?

More details would be good.
    O.

Thanks O Boy - The only problem with hot-plugging the network is that our Giga computer is in an Iso-Box and getting to the back of it (or the LAN hub) is near impossible without moving a bunch of stuff.

I have run diagnostics from Giga and I can\'t see anything on the report that looks out-of-place. I haven\'t compared a report w/LAN to one without the LAN side by side, but there\'s nothing in the w/LAN report that pops out at me as unusual.

This XP machine was purpose-built for running Giga. Perhaps the builders (Sweetwater) left out some drivers or other required items that are causing the conflict - but that\'s just a SWAG.

Not sure what other information to give. System is your basic 2.54 P-4 with 1 gig of RAM, XP Home, RME 96/52 sound card, e-Magic AMT-8 MIDI Interface, separate hard drive for samples, not connected to the Internet, no modem installed. Pretty basic stuff.

The only thing that comes to mind - Is there a problem using a LAN Hub vs a LAN switch? We\'re using a Hub. I wouldn\'t think that would matter, but just trying to sus out any hardware problems.

Unfortunately, Nemesys\' site doesn\'t include a lot of tech detail. I suppose I should try dropping them an e-mail, but that\'s always a crapshoot from what I can remember. The users here are pretty-much on the ball on most of these issues.

Thanks again - Most appreciated.

Check to see if you have an IRQ conflict between the LAN card and soundcard.

Good thought, Haydn - I\'ll check into it.

Well, no IRQ conflicts between the LAN card and the Sound Card. So, I\'m back at square 1.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Originally posted by Medicine Dog Studios:
    As soon as the machine is connected to the LAN, Giga reports trouble initializing properly and will not run (except in diagnostic mode).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You say this is a sweetwater machine? Does your machine start giga automatically on boot? (I have a feeling that it does [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

DON\'T DO THAT!

The LAN connection is causing your audio drivers and/or msg32 to init too late to be available for giga. Not allowing for full driver and msg32 init is a sure-fire way to get into diagnostic mode. The LAN connection could be slowing things down for a variety of reasons -- e.g., windows update is searching the internet for viruses to download.

Whadda ya think... am I close?

No, Giga doesn\'t boot automatically. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ve also tried waiting for quite a while to make sure the machine is completely booted before launching Giga. Windows Update is turned off and there is no virus protection on the computer (it\'s not connected to the Internet - I NEVER do that with my audio machines).

I think you\'re right in that the audio drivers, etc., are not initializing properly when the network is connected, but I\'m not sure how I would fix that.

Thanks for the help.

Try a different network card.

Yeah, that is a tough one. Couple more things to look at:

1.) Turn off Windows \"System Restore\" -- maybe the disk imaging is kicked off due to the \"change\" of adding net connection, and the imaging is holding up the works

2.) Remove all unnecessary network protocols -- IPX, NetBEUI, whatever. Some of those are known to cause problems due to broadcast-type net searches on startup. You only need TCP anyway. For the life of me, I don\'t know where MS put all that stuff with XP...

3.) Go to Start => Settings => Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Event Viewer and look for intersting tidbits in the various logs.

- Keith

Go Back to forum