• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audiophile 2496 or alternative

Audiophile 2496 or alternative

After a short delay, I am about to build a new Athlon64 setup (on WinXP) for mostly video editing and Flash/Photoshop work, but I will do the occassional Giga work on it since it\'d simply be easier to keep it all on one system if all I need is a few short licks for a presentation.

But here\'s the problem... my budget is designated for video, RAM, etc... not audio. So I need a sound card for no more than $150 (seriously, not a penny over!). I was going for the Audiophile 2496, but for every good thing I hear about it I hear two bad things.

All my work is going to stay on the PC. Absolutely the only outside audio-related connections are from my keyboard and speakers.

I was even thinking about a no-frills Audigy with the kX Driver to make it Giga-compatible on XP.

So... any suggestions? Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Audiophile 2496 or alternative

What bad things are you hearing? If you are not confident with an Audiophile 2496 (which works fine for me) try a Terratec EWX 2496 which is about the same price. You could also look around for places that still have Echo Mias (not the Midi Mias) in stock and I would assume you could get one for a nice price.

Hi Puterguy,

It depends partly on whether or not you need midi input. I have an Audiophile 2496 and have had good experiences with it up until recently, and I just emailed the company for assistance...we\'ll see.

Up until now audio quality has been great, latency has been passable, trying to understand the manual has been nasty. I may have had a mental block with the manual and interface, no doubt others handle it better. Hope this helps.

I used an Audigy 1 for quite awhile with GigaStudio, but had to use the third party Kx drivers (which include GSIF) to get it to work. And it worked fine.

It\'s my understanding that the Audigy 2, which is about $70 no frills, sounds very good.

The Audiophile 2496 is what I use. Sounds good and lets you plug in a lot. I\'m not sure the Audigy card gives you as much in terms of what you may later want: the Audiphile 2496 gives you stereo outs that you can run to an amp, so you can hear what you play and record through monitors. It also has RCA ins, to which you can run a mixer. This is great to have, since it lets you do live recording from mics or electic instuments like electric guitars. You can, in other words, lay down some keyboard tracks using Giga, and then listen to them while overdubbing a real electric guitar or vocal.

Hi Jake Johnson:

Sorry to but in, but your help included \"It also have RCA ins to which you can run a mixer\"
    Since I am very weak on the subject, using 2496 and happy with it, using only the stereo outs to my amplifier, doing my mastering after capturing with GS, what, if any, help a mixer woud give me? Could you please elaborate a little..

Go Back to forum