• Register
  • Help

Topic: I must buy an interface TODAY, and I'm scared. Help?

Share/Bookmark

I must buy an interface TODAY, and I\'m scared. Help?

Today, I go soft! Ahem.
    Yesterday: ordered dual 1.8 g5 with 1 gig
    Today, my Yamaha o1v feeds my monitors and my 2408 to get it into the g4-450. That\'s all these units do. They\'re getting sold. The 2408mkII is incompatible.

QUESTION: What is my new interface? RME? MH? MOTU?

I need:
    -- 2 MIC PRES (or at least a great in from a future preamp purchase) I record live only rarely and sparsely in my project studio.
    -- A handful of ANALOG INS for any hardware synths I might possibly keep or obtain.
    And if anyone foresees that I might want to add more CPUs to farm out synth and samplers, I\'ll need:
    -- LIGHTPIPE
    I rarely if ever need to have logic doing live dubbing with fx, the mac will be crunching its own soft synths and samplers. But stepping up from a g4-450, I\'ve no clue what the g5 can or can\'t handle.

What\'s my move? I\'m so grateful to have NS.com and Sonikmatter folks to ask. Seriously.

Re: I must buy an interface TODAY, and I\'m scared. Help?

hey, fine. I don\'t need you guys.

bunch of lousy, rotten, no good....

I\'ll just listen through the headphone jack for a few days.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brian,

I don\'t understand why you say that your 2408-II is incompatible? If it\'s the PCI card issue, I thought it could be upgraded to a G5 compatible PCI-424?

Trond

I thought only the mkIII was upgradable.

At a glance I could evidently, for 300 bucks, get a pci-424 card \"upgrade.\" Hmm..

Sell the current and put the money toward the MH? or sustain the 2408 mk II? more confusion.

You cold go firewire.

M-Audio Firewire 410

Only two analog ins on the M-Audio and no lightpipe. So, that ain\'t quite gonna cut it.

Is there an RME option that does EVERYTHING I need?

The Metric Halo does, but I keep seeing posts for folks having problems. Does it work, or doesn\'t it?

It\'s always compared favorably to the 828. Fine, forget the 828. How does the 896HD compare?

Go Back to forum