• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: MBO & amount of RAM ???

Share/Bookmark

Re: OT: MBO & amount of RAM ???

\"But where can one get 1 GB modules for a reasonable price. They to me seem to be hellishly expensive!?!\"

Check out this place:

http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

And there\'s always www.pricewatch.com.

I don\'t generally buy the cheapest anything - don\'t want lousy RAM - but it\'s a great site for price research in the U.S.

thankx very much. But still: 1 GB modules ar faaaaaar toooo expensive, but luckily I was blind. The Pentium boards seem to have 4 slots and not just two, LUCKILY. I think this is reason enough to go for the Pentium.
    thankx again
    Harry

AMD and Pentium each have motherboard with 4 RAM slots...

OT: MBO & amount of RAM ???

Please excuse for posting this here but hope to get a more quick response than on the hardware forum as I soon want to buy (just got some money):

I had hoped to get a new computer with 2 GB of RAM. But now I find out that the memory controllers of the motherboards for AMD 64 (although having a thrid slot for memory) slow down from DDR400-timing to 333 Mhz or even only 266Mhz if one uses the third available memory slot!!! (anyone mind sharing if this is really that much of a performance loss? & if this can be resolved later via a BIOS update?)

Then I thought: o.k. get a Pentium board. But am I right that the Asus P4P Deluxe or P4C Deluxe for example only have TWO slots for RAM modules?
    Is this true or am I only blind?

This in consequence would mean: either go for only 2x512 MB ram (only getting 1 GB) or get 1 GB modules... right? But where can one get 1 GB modules for a reasonable price. They to me seem to be hellishly expensive!?!

thankx in advance for any thoughts on the subject

Harry

Go Back to forum