• Register
  • Help

Topic: MidiOverLAN help

Share/Bookmark

MidiOverLAN help

So I got my network all set up and working. And I\'ve purchased MidiOverLAN.

Is it supposed to be a simple thing to get it working now. Because when I installed it, it did not seem simple. I didn\'t know what to do and haven\'t a clue how to get it working right.

It it\'s too complicated to explain, just let me know and I\'ll contact the manufacturer. But I thought if it was a simple thing that just took a basic understanding (which I, obviously, am lacking) then I could just ask here.

Thanks all.

Re: MidiOverLAN help

Hopefully this will help you more than hinder; In MOL speak, the LAN machine is always the other computer - NOT the computer you are currently setting up a connection on.

So when setting up a midi connection, Midi to LAN is referring to sending midi to another machine.

Now when you jump over to your other machine, a Midi from LAN connection is now referring to the first machine.

This confused me at first, every computer you have is really referred to as LAN.

I probably just made things worse [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    So I got my network all set up and working. And I\'ve purchased MidiOverLAN.

Is it supposed to be a simple thing to get it working now. Because when I installed it, it did not seem simple. I didn\'t know what to do and haven\'t a clue how to get it working right.

It it\'s too complicated to explain, just let me know and I\'ll contact the manufacturer. But I thought if it was a simple thing that just took a basic understanding (which I, obviously, am lacking) then I could just ask here.

Thanks all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Have read of the manual here...

http://www.musiclab.com/products/molmanual/molman3.htm

Brian

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hopefully this will help you more than hinder; In MOL speak, the LAN machine is always the other computer - NOT the computer you are currently setting up a connection on.

So when setting up a midi connection, Midi to LAN is referring to sending midi to another machine.

Now when you jump over to your other machine, a Midi from LAN connection is now referring to the first machine.

This confused me at first, every computer you have is really referred to as LAN.

I probably just made things worse [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The easiest way to think of it irrespective of which pc you are on is ...
    If you want to configure an output go to the Midi to Lan page.
    If you want to configure an input go to the Midi from Lan page.

Brian

Another description: After you install MOL on all of your machines, go to your Sequencer PC and set up the Midi-To-LAN channels. If you have GS160 on your other PC, you setup 4 channels (devices e.g. LAN-Out 00, LAN-Out 01, 02, 04) or 2 channels for GS96 i.e. one channel per GS port. After this, move to your GS PC(s) and set up 4 Midi-From-LAN channels of the same name as the \"To Lans.\" After you Apply, OK, close and reopen (I thinks that\'s what they suggest) you should see the Incoming Data light in the Midi-From-LAN window as a burgundy color. This means all is (hopefully) well. Now go to GS Settings/Hardware? and associate LAN-Out-00, ..., with your GS ports. To test, create a sequence with a track for each channel, assign LAN-Out-XX to the track), add some notes and play it in a loop. Now go back to the GS pC(s) and verify that the Incoming Data light is flashing to bright red. That means the midi data is getting to its destination computer. You can also select a track set to one of your midi channels and play from your midi KB. Next load some samples and make certain the midi is getting to GS. Know that Firewalls, if you have one installed, will block this data unless you set them up not to.

The details of setting up each channel is in the instructions. There are several choices.

Go Back to forum