• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best control of multiple pc's (a la vnc)

Share/Bookmark

Best control of multiple pc\'s (a la vnc)

Hey everyone -

I have 2 pc\'s (one is 3ghz, 2gb ram, other is 2 ghz, 1 gb of ram) in addition to my mac for music. I thought VNC might be a good way to go to control them, so I wired everthing via gigabit ethernet cables, ran the vnc service on the pc\'s, and used something called vnc dimension on the mac (10.3). However, even with gigabit ethernet, it\'s still a little too slow to control the desktops (they run qlso). I mean, it works, but it\'s not as responsive as I had hoped.

Are there any better programs/settings/etc I should be looking at for this?

Thanks!

Eric

Re: Best control of multiple pc\'s (a la vnc)

Eric,

You could also try to use the MS Remote Desktop feature if you\'re using XP on your PC\'s. In my experience it\'s much more responsive than VNC (which I also find to be disturbingly slow). There is an OS X client for Remote Desktop from Microsoft to be found at MS OS X Remote Desktop Client

/Mattias

There is a utility that might also help people using this type of tools. With Desktop Manager (powertoys for win XP - microsoft site), you can have 4 different desktops (a la linux).

With this you can switch between 4 desktops. For instace, you can have cubase, sampler, Remote desktop with computer 2, remote desktop with computer 3.

PS - don\'t forget that you can also use netmeeting, but with more delays.

Originally posted by Mattias Henningson:
    Eric,

You could also try to use the MS Remote Desktop feature if you\'re using XP on your PC\'s. In my experience it\'s much more responsive than VNC (which I also find to be disturbingly slow). There is an OS X client for Remote Desktop from Microsoft to be found at MS OS X Remote Desktop Client

/Mattias
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mattias -

Wow! It really does do better than VNC. I love it! There\'s only one problem - I can\'t seem to find a way to launch RDC on the mac again to open another connection to a different box. Is this possible?

Eric

So none of this creates a performance drain in any way?. It\'d be great to find this out because I\'d love to use it and ditch my KVM switch. I\'m using midioverlan at the moment so wondered if it would be affected in any way.

Eric, I have no idea what\'s possible on the Mac side as I don\'t have a Mac myself. With the PC client you\'re able to open any number of instances to connect to any number of computers though and I\'d be very surprised if this wasn\'t possible with the OSX client as well.

Trev, like I said in the other thread I don\'t see any noticable resource drain. Actually, in my opinion RD is amazingly efficient. I did exactly what you\'re thinking about (ditched my KVM switch) and I use MoL+ or FXTeleport between my machines as well. It did wonders to the cable clutter in my \"server\" room.

/Mattias

OK, Mattias. Thanks for the info - I\'m definitely going to give it a go when I get the chance this week.

Remote Desktop really works great, thanks for this tip.
    Is there are shortcut for leaving the RD window and returning to the client PC?

Windows key + M will do a minimise of all open windows. I\'m not in front of my PC\'S right now to check if it includes any open RD connections.

It should work though, this will then leave you with your original desktop in view and everything else minimised.

I always set my remote sessions to 1024x768 and run my main machine at 1280x1024. All I have to do is click out of the remote session to another area on the main computer. You can also use the normal Windows keys to go from window to window. The Remote Desktop just acts like another app.

I\'ve never noticed any performance hits and the memory usage is pretty low.

Go Back to forum