• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard Drive Size

Hard Drive Size

With the size of the sample libraries getting bigger, what size Hard Drive are people using for Giga? The Tascam site recommends you don\'t use a drive bigger than 60-80GB. I am running out of space on my current 60GB drive and don\'t think I can add another internal drive (I may be but am unsure). Is anyone using 120GB or bigger drives for samples?
    Is anyone using external Firewire drives for samples.

David Russell

Re: Hard Drive Size

I tihknk you\'ll find a lot of people using larger drives than 80 GB these days, and although firewire is becoming more popular I think most people are still using SATA/PATA drives.
    For myself, I am using 2 x 80 GB Western Digitals at the moment but that will definitely have to increase within the next 6 months or so...I can\'t really see to many issues anymore with the bigger drives as the seek times and read/write speeds are generally better than any drive in the 80 GB range from what I have seen.
    Cn\'t answer much about firewire though sorry...

I\'m using a 160 gig drive for samples. It works great.

-- Martin

Tascam recommends the 60-80 GB size because they say that larger drives have more platters and each platter is thinner thereby not as sturdy. But I am glad to see 160GB being used!

Go Back to forum