• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using Kontakt instead of GPO-Kompakt: Advantages?

Share/Bookmark

Using Kontakt instead of GPO-Kompakt: Advantages?

Hi there!

The new forums look terrible... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I hope they will finally ditch the UBB-crap and get some real and better messageboard software (Vbulletin or PHPBB anyone?). However, my Question is about Kontakt:

Yesterday I took the big step and bought the full Kontakt sampler! What a great piece of software.

While trying it out I wondered wether it would offer any advantages to load the GPO instruments into the Kontakt-VSTi and not using the GPO-Kompakt plugin. I mean: I can load up to 16 Instruments but are there other advantages? Should I stick to the GPO-plugin and use Kontakt for my other sampling needs?

All opinions and reports from people who use those softwares together are appreciated!

Re: Using Kontakt instead of GPO-Kompakt: Advantag

The advantage of using Kontakt is the ability to tweak the sounds. You can tweak and reprogram them pretty much however you like and save those versions.

By the way, it\'s not a GPO-Kompakt player, but a GPO-Kontakt player.

Re: Using Kontakt instead of GPO-Kompakt: Advantages?

From experience, I think you can load more patches using Kontakt compared to using the GPO Kontakt player. I don\'t mean number of instances or instruments in the instances, but rather the overall size of all the instruments combined. Better memory management, I guess. Or DFD.

In one song I\'ve been working on, for example, I cannot load more than 32 instruments (using 4 GPO instances). Kontakt can load the same in 2 instances without audio glitches.

Yes, using DFD you can definitely load more instruments -- not as many as I would have liked (it appears you get about 60% more instruments available, which seems like a lot until you try and load up the piano with your orchestra and bomb out even with 1 gig).

I\'m still not sure why DFD wouldn\'t give you a whole lot more ability than this, but at least you do get some more. To give you a complete picture, though, you do lose the keyboard emulation (which is kind of nice at times).

Thank you for the input. Right now it seems that I will try using the full kontakt instead of the GPO-player for my next piece.

During the preparations for this task I experiment with the glissando harp packets (which works fine) and the Var1+Var2 controllers.

Here is the next problem: Which 2 of the 100 instrument-edit-knobs in Kontakt represent what is called \"Var1\" and \"VAR2\" in the GPO-Player? Any suggestions? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I\'m still learing how to get the best out of my new toy...

Just an idea i got. Use the same midicontrollers (CC#) as the kontaktplayer does. I dont remember the numbers, but they are somewhere in the manual.

Crackbaby is correct: Use the same midi controller numbers as in the player. Draw the data into the sequencer tracks. VAR1=cc22, VAR2=cc24. These should be applied to specific situations, not as “set and forget” controls. VAR1 (random intonation changes) is best used in situations where a real player wouldn’t have time to accurately center the pitch of each note, as in a fast run. The controller should be drawn in for just the notes of the run. If the last note of the run is sustained the controller should be returned to zero prior to the last note so the final note of the run is in tune. It’s usually best to go easy on the amount. VAR2 (random timbre changes) is especially useful for repeated notes. The two controllers can be used together for rapidly repeating notes of a phrase that cause the “machine gun” effect. Again, just draw the controller data for the specific problem notes.

Tom

Thanks to both of you! Off I go to create some neat music... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m still not sure why DFD wouldn\'t give you a whole lot more ability than this, but at least you do get some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to set the amount you pre-buffer (load into RAM for each instument) the lower this number the more instruments you can load, but the more CPU intense the performance is. All you need to do is the find the point where you can load the littlest amount into RAM and the max pressure the CPU can handle. This shoudl allow you to load more instruments than you currently are able to.

Here I am again with a (maybe) stupid question... Where do I adjust the Bass Drum Fundamental in Kontakt? Everything else is working out great, but my Bass Drum lacks the certain punch...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Go Back to forum