• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Upgrading to new forum

Share/Bookmark

Upgrading to new forum

Hello everyone, thank you for your continued patience. We are actually in the process of changing bulletin board engines form UBB to Vbulletin. The reason for the change is because NS has outgrown UBB. A 7 year database and growing file management concerns as well as a need to expand on the functionality and layout of this site have prompted this decision to change Bulletin boards as well as servers. In order to make the transfer over to Vbulletin we have had to update this current board (UBB) to its latest version hence the new temporary look. We are waiting for a few compatibility issues to be resolved before we make the change over. So hold tight everyone good things are coming.

Thanks again all for your patience as NS evolves.

Desound

Re: Upgrading to new forum

Thanks! As a forum admin myself I definitely understand how taxing this can be. Looking forward to the future of NS.

~Frederick

Thanks for all your hard work in providing this forum. It is greatly appreciated.

-- Martin

Thank you, thank you for such an important useful lively & knowlegeable forum.
    Have to agree with the posts elsewhere that the classic design - size, layout, fonts & colors was perfect - so if you can match that while DISCREETLY adding your new functions, that would give us the best of both. Thank you for all your dedicated work.

Whatever you guys do is fine by me - HUGE THANKS for such an incredible resource. A daily haunt for me - even when I\'m supposed to be hard at work. :-)

All the very best and thanks again,
    Crispin Hands

Yeah, the classic look is back. Wonderful. But is there some way of making the default go to a full page of threads every time? When I came onto the site today, I was pleased to get a full page of threads, but when I logged in and went back to the forum, I got a short top list of threads.
    Ironing wrinkles... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well, you are getting back to the proven original design bit by bit. The fonts are still way off though. They look just the way they used to when my computer was about to crash and couldnt sustain smooth nice-looking fonts... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just another 2c...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This is just an interim upgrade, from what I gather. They\'re moving to a whole new BBS.

What strikes me, though, is how UBB has actually become a less elegant tool as it has been improved. This version has more features, but it is not nearly as usable for the basic purpose. When replying to a post, you can now see only the actual post you\'re replying, not the entire thread, which makes it difficult to consolidate a reply to several people/issues at once.

Funny. The functionality of this version is great, but definitely the UI suffers.

[ QUOTE ]
    When replying to a post, you can now see only the actual post you\'re replying, not the entire thread, which makes it difficult to consolidate a reply to several people/issues at once.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed, that\'s a very useful feature. I guess it will be fixed sooner or later... Hopefully they also reverse the order of the posts in the post you can see so that you see the last post in the thread first. That\'s one thing I really like about the VSL forum implementation.

/Mattias

test

Go Back to forum