• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone tried the Milan Audio Steinway?

Anyone tried the Milan Audio Steinway?

Always interested in learning people\'s impressions of new piano libraries. This one sounds promising. Anyone ready to review it?

Re: Anyone tried the Milan Audio Steinway?

It is the best piano I have. I play solo Classical and Jazz, so I can\'t give an opinion about how it works in a mix or how it would work for Rock, but as a solo instrument, it is superb. I was never able to get the Bardstown Bosendorfer to sound right. Parts of it sounded great -- maybe 85- but if I filtered enough to reduce the distorted sound of the other 15%, then the whole thing sounded muddy and unrealistic, and eventually I gave up trying. I didn\'t have to do anything special to the MilanDigitalAudio Steinway. It sounds great using the settings Milan suggests with no further tweaking required.

The MP3s on Milan\'s web site do a good job of demonstrating the sound. You can expect it to sound the same when you play it. It seems to have a natural response to dynamics, and so I just play normally, and I don\'t need to modify my playing to adapt to it. I wish it were legal to sell my other three virtual pianos, because now I exclusively use the Milan Steinway, and I have no use for the others.

Scott Duncan

There is no distortion on the Bardstown Bosendorfer. The Bardstown Bosendorfer is an amazingly clean and most beautiful sounding instrument! It sounds as though you have digital synchronization problems with your audio hardware.

Here are excerpts from an article I wrote regarding this issue. For the complete article, you can visit our web site and read the \"technical tips\" page..

All music audio sounds significantly better when you have quality digital synchronization. When using sampled musical instruments as many of us do, pure and clean sounding sampled musical instruments that have not been filtered or have had some of the higher frequencies removed, really sound much better with solid digital synchronization. Some people will comment that certain sampled instruments sound smoother, while other sampled instruments sound more harsh and perceive certain frequencies as sounding distorted. Sampled instruments or any other recorded music audio that has been filtered and had certain frequencies removed with EQ do not sound nearly as bad with poor quality digital synchronization, because the frequencies that are most affected in a negative way with poor digital synchronization have been removed with filters and EQ. Applying excessive filters and EQ do remove a great deal of life and character from instruments, and will make them sound rather bland with more of the characteristics of synth instruments. Synth instruments are not affected nearly as much in a negative way with poor quality digital synchronization as live recorded acoustic instruments or sampled acoustic instruments that have NOT been processed with filters, noise reduction, and eq. All sampled instruments produced by Bardstown Audio are of the very highest quality of any sampled instruments in the world, and have not been filtered or processed with noise reduction because the highest level of professional recording and editing techniques were used in order to insure that no negative artifacts or unwanted noise would be present in the samples of Bardstown Audio sampled instruments.

Further elaborating on digital synchronization for sampled musical instruments, low quality digital synchronization will definitely make various frequencies not sound very pleasing. Once people upgrade their means of digital synchronization, they immediately notice a significant improvement, and also certain frequencies on certain sampled instruments that they thought sounded questionable now sound beautiful. In many situations people are able to get better quality digital synchronization with the equipment they already own. It is a simple matter of connecting the right cables correctly and setting their synchronization on their driver window for their audio hardware correctly. If you have your internal audio PCI card set to \"internal\" for synchronization, your music audio will not sound very good as it will when you set your synchronization to an outside device, whether it be from a consumer breakout box or an external converter unit. If you are unsure about your computer audio hardware setup, it would be an excellent idea to call the tech support of the company that manufactured your audio hardware and have them go through your setup with your cable connections and hardware driver settings.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

I appologize if this is getting away from the orginal intention of your post. But I feel I must respond to Kip\'s post for the benefit of any shoppers out there trying to decide which library to buy.

Kip thinks that my dissatisfaction with his Bosendorfer is because of audio problems in my system.

Before purchasing that library, I urge anyone to listen to the treble notes on the MP3 example on the Bardstown site labeled chwaltz.mp3. If that is the sound you want, then fine, go ahead an purchase it... you might be happy as a clam. I went amuck, because although I noticed that objectionable \"distorted\" sound in the Chopin MP3, I thought other MP3 examples on his site sounded quite good, and they were identified as using velocity filtering. I thought that I could use the velocity filtering and then I could play that same Chopin piece and it would sound good. That was a $250 mistake for me.

The Bardstown Bosendorfer is a fairly close mic\'ed sampled piano, and you do hear the full character of every note at all velocities and articulations of pedal up, pedal down, and release, exactly as they sound on the real Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290, which is most desirable. All pianos have their own individual character based on the resonance of the sound board and bridge. When you mic a piano at a distance, such has been done with many other sampled pianos that are available, you loose a great deal of the character and definition of the instrument, plus significantly more noise is introduced into the signal with distant mic\'ing which has to be removed with destructive noise reduction techniques which takes certain frequencies away from the sampled notes, which makes for a piano with less life and thus having a processed sound. Also, a piano that is mic\'ed at a distance will not sit nearly as well in a mix with other instruments. The real Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290 that was sample recorded for the Bardstown Bosendorfer was in excellent condition with superb sound and playability.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

Go Back to forum