• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar 3 and GPO - Tutorial?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 3 and GPO - Tutorial?

Heading out of town for a bit, but when I get back I think I\'m going to try out GPO with the Sonar 3 demo and see how that goes. I know a lot of you use that, but I haven\'t really paid attention to the comments about using GPO with that, since I don\'t have it. I noticed there are some nice tutorials on the support page about using GPO with Cubasis and Pro Tools and Finale, but not Sonar. Can anyone give me a heads up on using GPO with that? Ideal settings, etc.

Thanks, and see you in a while,
    Shaz [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Sonar 3 and GPO - Tutorial?

Shaz,
    Hey I\'ve been thinking about it for quite some time as well for my home studio. I am used to using Cakewalk and still use HS 2004XL for mixing audio with midi tracks and GPO. Cubasis is alright but there is that annoying timing problem. Since I am a registared user I can upgrade to Sonar 3 studio for a nominal charge. If I do this (which will not be till after the holidays) we should work together on the issues that may arise there in, of, with....you know what I mean!
    Call me lets talk.

Mike

Sounds good, Mike!

I just tried the demo quick, and it seems to work well. I\'ve got GPO to insert as a DXi, but as soon as I add it to a track, the record button for the track vanishes. ?? Possibly a limitation of the demo, but I didn\'t see it listed. Anyway, I\'m sure there\'s something I need to do.

Gotta go. Talk to you more soon, Mike.
    Shaz

Shaz,

You need to add both a midi track and an audio track. The easiest way to do this is to open the Synth Rack (under the View menu) and click the add button. Use the VST version of GPO (it takes fewer resources) and click the check boxes to add the first midi track and an audio track. Then everything will be set up with the proper pointers and you will be ready to record midi. The GPO audio track will not have a record button, only the midi track.

-- Martin

[ QUOTE ]
    Shaz,

You need to add both a midi track and an audio track. The easiest way to do this is to open the Synth Rack (under the View menu) and click the add button. Use the VST version of GPO (it takes fewer resources) and click the check boxes to add the first midi track and an audio track. Then everything will be set up with the proper pointers and you will be ready to record midi. The GPO audio track will not have a record button, only the midi track.

-- Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any issues concerning \"timing\" using audio and midi tracks like there are in Cubasis?

I\'m a Sonar 3PE user as well. I\'m gathering ideas for some tutorials, but wasn\'t considering a general one. At the moment, I\'m focusing on a tutorial on writing effective realistic wind parts, with examples and images from Sonar.

[ QUOTE ]

Are there any issues concerning \"timing\" using audio and midi tracks like there are in Cubasis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I\'ve noticed. Sonar seems to figure all timing out during playback. It will probably depend on your processing speed, but if you run into trouble, you can probably just up your buffer size, and you should be set.

Go Sonar!

Hi Shaz

S3PE user. A lot of people will tell you that the GPO VST is the way to go. In order to use VSTi\'s, you have to install something that comes with S3PE that, for some reason, doesn\'t install by default.

In my case, I get problems with both [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (though very few people get these errors).

With VST, I get the following error(s):
    <ul type=\"square\">[*] <font color=\"red\"> Notes stick when I hit the stop button </font> - This is extremely annoying, so much so that I actually can\'t use GPO VST at all! More precisely, the notes stick when I hit the stop button and any notes that have not reached their note-off events will continue to play on.. forever.. and ever.. and I do not own another VST, so I can not check if the problem is GPO (which I highly doubt), Kontakt VST (which I believe it is), or \"any\" VST (which I doubt!). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img][/list]

With DXi, I get the following error(s):
    <ul type=\"square\">[*] <font color=\"red\"> Tempo changes cause notes to hang </font> - This is VERY annoying, but not as bad as the VST issue. If during playback, there is a change in tempo, and a note is held across that change, then it\'ll stick forever! There is a fix, which is to write in another tiny note, at cc1=0, and vel=1 (so it\'s barely audible) right after the note-off of the previous note (the one that would hang otherwise). This will trigger a note-on / note-off that will (hoepfully) stop the note. It only works if the \'tiny\' note is not written on a tempo change, so sometimes ya gotta write fudge it around. Annoying, yes, but workable.
    [*] <font color=\"red\"> Instruments Don\'t Always Load </font> - I haven\'t figured out the cause of this one yet, but SOMETIMES (very rarely) instruments will not load in my GPO player. Probably a Kontakt thing - no idea.[/list]

In any case, as I said, these malfunctions are very rare, but I am on the [censored]-end of the luck bell curve.

Sonar has AWESOME fx (the lexicon reverb is incredible!). Every effect in it is automatable (probably the same in other programs).

- JunNK

Junkmonkey, the Cakewalk VST adapter does install if you do a standard installation of Sonar3. You do have to run the adapter configuration anytime you install a new VST but I\'ve never had a problem.

The problems you\'ve had with the GPO well I did have stuck notes when I almost immediately bought a new keyboard controller, but a driver update solved it. Sorry to hear you\'re having problems.

Re: Go Sonar!

Junkmonkey,

Some of your SONAR issues are addressed in the \"Troubleshooting\" section of the GPO support page under \"Sonar Issues:\" see: http://www.garritan.com/troubleshooting.html

First make sure to download the latest patch for Sonar 3

The <font color=\"brown\"> Sonar Stuck notes problem </font> is a known bug in Sonar and has been reported in the Cakewalk forums. It isn\'t specific to GPO VST. The most common way to deal with this is to hit the reset which will turn all notes off without having to exit the program. One user offered a workaround where you can add very short note to the end of the note that would\'ve otherwise been sustained.

<font color=\"brown\"> The DX Tempo bug </font> -There\'s a user workaround provided by Paul Giangregorio \"The work-around is to enter a note at the same pitch right after the note-off of the long note which would have otherwise held (and make the new small note inaudible). Some times it takes more than one! But at least it works.\"

<font color=\"brown\"> Instruments Don\'t Always Load </font> - I haven\'t experienced this one. Try to make sure your slots are filled consecutively and that none are skipped and see if this helps.

Hope this information helps.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum