• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Studio Monitors.

Share/Bookmark

Studio Monitors.

How many of you use studio monitors and what type are they? Passive? Active? Near, medium, close reff? Mackie? Behringer? I am curious. I just had new Behringer Truth B2031 monitors installed in my home studio and upon listening to the little work I\'ve finished using GPO, there where plenty of difference in the sound and texture of each instrument. Prior to having them installed. I had to resort in using a couple Yorkville sound reinforcement speakers.
    Needless to say, GPO sounds more like the real thing than before! As a matter of fact, all my previous work sounds different! Dahhhhh!
    Comments?

Bush! Bring them home!

Re: Studio Monitors.

I use Event 20/20 passive nearfield monitors with a QSC USA 400 power amp. I also have a subwoofer attached so I can hear the sub-bass frequencies that are not reproduced by the Events. Works very well for me.

At work, I have a pair of Genelec 1030a monitors on my desk.

I\'ve heard good things about the Truth monitors.

-- Martin

The Truth seem to be doing the job although I\'ve only had them for a day and a half. I have them set on an \"auto\" off and on mode that works well except if your volume settings on playback are too low. In this case the monitors shut off after five minutes of low level playing. Kind of a problem but I am wondering if there may be a sensitivity control on the back to twart this. Darn things are heavy and up on a shelf! I think I am getting a bit lazy.
    Genelec? I\'ve heard some good things about them. My partner and I are thinking of purchasing a pair for the new studio. Would you recomend them more for mastering or playback for the main session room? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

styxx,

I started my journey with passive Alesis Monitor one\'s. They were a fine place for me to start (I got them when I was a junior in high school). The biggest problem was I never could get my low end to sound good. When the Truth Monitors came out, a friend of mine got them and I thought they sounded pretty cool, so I bought a pair. I worked with them every day for almost a year and was very pleased (certainly considering the price).

Then one day I moved locations, from my home where I was working to a new studio location. Once I got everything setup, my Behringer\'s no longer worked right. For some reason once I got them to a certain volume the plastic on the horn (at the top - those little grey strips) would keep rattling when I played certain samples that accented very specific frequencies. I put up with it for a while but it started to drive me nuts. So I took the speakers back and got another pair of Truths. When I opened them up one of the tweeters was blown, and on the other speaker the woofer was really screwed up. (Never did figure out what was wrong but it sounded aweful).

So, I took them back too. My dealer was out of Truth\'s at the time and by now I was questioning the validity of of trusting a German\'s name I can\'t pronounce with my mixes (that was a joke, I like Germans). So I upgraded to the Roland DS-90 powered monitors. Worked with them for about a year and just never could get my mixes to sound even decent. So I bought some Mackie 828\'s. I like the Mackie\'s better then anything I\'ve worked with. They\'re consistent and they work for me quite well. They do boost the low end just a tad, but I actually like that because I can do a mix where I feel the bass but it doesn\'t end up blowing the speakers in my car.

I\'ve got a friend who is selling me a pair of Genelec\'s as well. 1030\'s. They sound really good. And I mean REALLY good. Problem is they\'re a little TOO good. i\'m getting them because they price is right and I\'d like an extra set to reference through, but my mix experience on them in the past has been they can sound so good in the studio, that the mixes just don\'t translate outside the studio. Rather frustrating. But they DO sound awesome in their own setting. So - they\'re worth having around for sure.

I also have a good friend who uses a pair of Adams monitors. He sweares by them and I swear his mixes blow. So - go figure. I\'m very happy with my mackie\'s which are much cheaper.

That\'s my experience [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    J-

Hi Whaley.

A question on the Truths. On the rear panel is a sensitivity control for the input signal. I\'ve been having a problem with the monitors shutting down after five minutes of play time at low levels -10db. I\'ve tried maxing the sensitivity control and it didn\'t help. I also went the opposite with the same results. What can you tell me that may help with this?
    As for the Mackies, we have ours still boxed waiting to be installed in the new studio location. Can\'t wait to work with them. Also, the room acoustics play an important roll in how a monitor sounds. I have a pair of old Roland M50 that seem to kick quite cleanly in any environment so far. The only problem is their power handling is too low for some systems. One trick I learned while taking a course on recording at U.B. was the importance of playing back your mixes on different commercial systems as well as professional. As a rule, for my youth theatre musicals I mix using the systems for the auditorium we are in. So far it has worked out well. My professor used to say \"if it sounds good on a walkman, your car radio, and home stereo, you\'re on your way\"!
    Steve Bradley - What a guy.

Genelecs are great as monitors or for playback. We have 30 of them here at work.

-- Martin

mschiff: Do you use events sub? Or will it work with any descent \"hifi-store\" sub?

I have a pair of active event ps8 .. and those low-low frequensys just arent there.. But for everything else they work extremly good. All mixes ive made and been satisfied with sound exactly as i want them to on other \'standard\' speakers.

best regards

/crackiee

You may want to not use Auto on the monitors but physically turn them on. The sensitivity control is for matching with the output of whatever is feeding them. Usually the pro gear is at +4db while the consumer gear is -10db. My mixing board feeds my monitors at a +4db level.

Hello,
    I use A.D.A.M monitors, the P11A
    They\'re awesome.

http://www.adam-audio.com/

[image]http://www.mixexperience.com/popup_image.php/pID/206?PHPSESSID=3e130a390686b6d1eccb28a3d70f00c1[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
    You may want to not use Auto on the monitors but physically turn them on. The sensitivity control is for matching with the output of whatever is feeding them. Usually the pro gear is at +4db while the consumer gear is -10db. My mixing board feeds my monitors at a +4db level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! My board feeds at +4db as well. I am still studing them and think I have found the right spot!

Go Back to forum