• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Score to picture-I need honest, serious critique.

Share/Bookmark

Score to picture-I need honest, serious critique.

I\'m practising scoring to picture. And I\'ll be taking this link off my site in a few days.

Give me your opinions about what\'s right and what\'s wrong.

I don\'t think I\'ll comment on what instruments are lacking from my set. But needless to say, I wish I had some specifics(especially ethnic, ancient). This is what I had to work with.

rainFight

Its about 6M and I\'m not sure if it\'ll stream. So please be patient.

By the way, is that Eddie Izzard with the CU in the middle of the movie???

Re: Score to picture-I need honest, serious critique.

OK, first let me say I\'m mostly a game music guy.. so take my comments with a grain of salt. There are lots of people here who are better qualified to make comments who actually specialize in film [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So I\'ll just make a few points here:

1) Since the woman and the old man are already being chased/threatened, I\'d make the music more tense in the beginning.. it\'s too calm. When I first saw the first five seconds of the movie, it wasn\'t totally clear what was going on, and by the music, it seemed they were just a group of people travelling. Start with intense music and then we know immediately that something bad is going down.

2) I wouldn\'t time the orchestra hits with the physical strikes all the time.. maybe once. Or maybe not at all..

3) The music when the woman & old man are being beaten is not tense enough. I think the slow, dramatic cues work well when the movie footage is in slow-mo, and it\'s the main character being badly beaten to death or something seriously dramatic/shocking is going on. Kinda like in The Crow when Eric & his fiancee are being murdered in their apartment.. I think it\'s just a choir singing or something like that. It works because the scene is filmed so damn dramatically.

My suggestion: go for violent & intense music in the beginning.. fast string work, some brass in there as well. And then BOOM, when the thugs stop & turn to see who\'s arrived, stop the music with a big drum hit or maybe a few drum hits.. and then silence. I\'d keep it either totally quiet until the hero starts fighting, or just throw a bit of light percussion here & there, maybe some quiet cellos/basses. I think silence is just as important as music when it comes to film.. having music playing the whole time can work against you.

Just my two cents. I might be way off here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good job so far though, and good luck. Is this for a class or something, or just for practice?

It does release tension too early, and the mickey-mousing is too tight. I would keep building through the appearance of our heros (at that point in the film, there\'s no indication what roll they will play, so I\'m not intimating that heroic music is called for). I love this film, and watch it both in French and English every few months, and finds new places and little details to enjoy (Monica Belluci notwithstanding).

Time and place is not so well established that you can\'t get away with modern instrumentation. (Later in the movie you wouldn\'t be so lucky, as the provincial Renaissance/Baroque feel is lavished across the screen). My recommendation is to focus more on rhythmic instruments and darken the mix overall. The first thing that came to my mind is that you could replace your current string parts with short bows in the cello and double bass, and step away from the distraction of melodic/thematic writing, and you\'d be well on your way to a masterpiece.

Houston hit the nail on the head. Cello/bass short bows. Intense & violent, just like what\'s being portrayed on-screen.

What movie is that by the way, and how did you get that clip without the music so you could drop your own in?

Re: Score to picture-I need honest, serious critiq

MDesigner,

I think it\'s from Brotherhood of the Wolf...

I agree with Houston on the music comments.

I too would like to know how you dropped the original score?

Yeah, Both of you guys are right. I had some of the same comments last night.

I knew that I wanted to do a less melodic piece but I\'ve found something I need to work on. The melodies and heroic themes keep coming out altthough I don\'t want them too. Its too heartrending for the girl and old man and it sounds like Superman when the mysterious guy kicks .

I am definitely hitting too many cues. That was part of my exercise (assigned to myself), to see the cues and write to them, but I\'ve overused the priveledge.

I need to listen to some tension cues. I don\'t think I hear that in my head (except for tremelo strings). Not sure where to go. And then I\'ve gotta find out how to do heroic in levels.

thanks a lot for your responses.

PS the only place to practice is where the composer decided he didn\'t want music. Strike one.

Awesome, thanks for the tip... so there\'s NO music in that whole scene? Wow, thank the composer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I\'m gonna rent that movie tonight, rip that scene to AVI or DivX, and play with it as well. You know what would be cool for a demo reel (for film composers) is to set their own music to scenes like this, and burn the clips on DVD and submit that as a demo reel. That would be a cool way to show off what you can do. Or maybe a way for someone to point fingers at you for copyright infringement [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I dunno.. I can see a problem with ripping the whole movie, but ripping just a scene for personal use to practice scoring, I don\'t feel it\'s wrong.

It would be nice to have a database of movies that have extended scenes with no music, and also DVDs that have alternate audio tracks that cut out the music and just have the audio. I think Count of Monte Cristo has that.

[ QUOTE ]
    Awesome, thanks for the tip... so there\'s NO music in that whole scene? Wow, thank the composer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I\'m gonna rent that movie tonight, rip that scene to AVI or DivX, and play with it as well. You know what would be cool for a demo reel (for film composers) is to set their own music to scenes like this, and burn the clips on DVD and submit that as a demo reel. That would be a cool way to show off what you can do. Or maybe a way for someone to point fingers at you for copyright infringement [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I dunno.. I can see a problem with ripping the whole movie, but ripping just a scene for personal use to practice scoring, I don\'t feel it\'s wrong.

It would be nice to have a database of movies that have extended scenes with no music, and also DVDs that have alternate audio tracks that cut out the music and just have the audio. I think Count of Monte Cristo has that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That\'s precisely what I\'ve done - with about 30 scenes from DVDs that my wife and I own. \"Pacts de Loups\" is one of my faves, and there are lots of scenes that could use some music when you place them in a demo reel out of context of the film. The trick is that the director and composer have the context of flow from scene to scene with music, and there may be music-heavy scenes that \"bookend\" what you\'ve picked out, which means that it may not make sense to have music there. Once you pull it from that context though, it can be perfect for scoring.

Also, check for scenes that are light on dialog, or without dialog altogether. There are several in Pacts de Loups that are already in my queue for cue scoring. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

H3

For those of you about to ask, yes, Houston\'s \"Pacts de Loups\" is the same as \"Brotherhood of the Wolf\" that I posted above... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It would probably be good fun for a few of us to score the same scene... should be interesting to see different peoples interpretations. Not that I can attempt it right now... cannot sort out my bloody sound cards [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum