• Register
  • Help

Topic: Buffers,Voices,Memory,streaming

Share/Bookmark

Buffers,Voices,Memory,streaming

Is there a nutshell for understanding the relationship of voice buffers,preload buffers,memory, cpu usage,streaming and to indicate my knowledge level, that little red light that comes on occaisionally on the disk meter that silences notes that are playing? Or what should I read assuming that will help.
    Thanks
    KR

Re: Buffers,Voices,Memory,streaming

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a nutshell for understanding the relationship of voice buffers,preload buffers,memory, cpu usage,streaming and to indicate my knowledge level, that little red light that comes on occaisionally on the disk meter that silences notes that are playing?

[/ QUOTE ]Well I have Kompakt instead of Kontakt, so don\'t assume what I tell you is 100% accurate, but I think they are similar. The manual does not really explain the DFD settings, it just basically says if you don\'t understand the settings, you shouldn\'t be messing with them (gee, thanks). Anyway, the preload size tells how much of each sample to load off disk into memory beforehand. For instance, I have the Bardstown Bosendorfer library, which is 88 sampled keys, 9 samples per key. If I select 288 k per sample, that\'s 88 * 9 * 288 k, or ~228 MB of RAM that will be used. Now, if your library is sampled at 48 kHz at a 24-bit resolution, that\'s 48,000 samples per second * 3 bytes per sample, or about 144 kB per second of data. Therefore the above example would preload two seconds of each sample into RAM. Note the difference here between the term \"sample\". It can either mean a complete recording of any length or one individual value (several bytes) of a raw data stream.

I\'m not too sure about voice buffers, but I think each note you want to play individually also needs its own area of memory, so if you wanted 64 individual notes to sound simultaneously, you\'d need to set aside a certain amount per voice. For plucked violin strings, 24 would probably be adequate, but a pedaled piano could easily exceed 64 or 100. In Kompakt, there is a \"Reserved Voices\" setting that I have not been able to figure out, but I think that\'s what it means. I keep the size of the voice buffers the same as the preload buffer size and it seems to work well.

As for the little red light that silences notes, I\'d have to guess that would be where it\'s unable to get sample data off the disk fast enough and starts cutting out notes. It might be that your hard drive is too slow, or too fragmented, or possibly that you\'ve exceeded the max voice value, which you should be able to increase. You generally need a fast 7,200 rpm hard drive for sample playing, and need to keep it defragmented. If possible, it\'s good to dedicate an entire disk or at least a partition just for your sample libraries. If you have the RAM available, try increasing the preload buffer size. Use as much of it as you can. You might even be able to fit an entire sample set into RAM.

Re: Buffers,Voices,Memory,streaming

Hirez,
    Thanks much for the reply. I\'m trying to get a handle on all this and your response gave me a lot of help. Just when I think I\'ve arrived at a stable environment either a new product a new and better way or a new glitch surfaces and some working tech knowledge is in order. Thanks again.
    Ken Roche

Go Back to forum