• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bowstroke Dirction in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Bowstroke Dirction in GPO

In the GPO manual (p.28), there is a control notation for \"ALT = Up and down bowstrokes controlled with the sustain pedal\"...

Only I can\'t find anywhere that it may be listed in the instrument description tables! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Is ALT actually used in GPO?

- m

Re: Bowstroke Dirction in GPO

Markleford,

Yes, for solo and Ens. string instruments. The solo string instruments all use the sustain pedal for two functions: legato mode and alternating bow strokes. Alternating bow strokes are accomplished by alternating the sustain pedal positions – first bow stroke, pedal up; following bow stroke, pedal down; next bow stroke, pedal up; etc. Legato mode applies if several notes are played in connected fashion while holding the sustain pedal in its depressed position, thus simulating the sound of sequential notes played on the same bow stroke.

Tom

So let me get this straight Tom,
    You hold the Alt key down while using the mod wheel both with the left hand at the same time using the right hand to play notes while the right foot controls the sustain pedal to get the expressions needed for the closest live sound of a performance? I only have two hands! What is this GPO twister? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Styxx,

It never occurred to me to associate the ALT key with this function but why not? Perhaps it’s best to find at least one controller for each available appendage. The crucial word here is “available.”

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
    Styxx,

It never occurred to me to associate the ALT key with this function but why not? Perhaps it’s best to find at least one controller for each available appendage. The crucial word here is “available.”

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that will work. As long as the \"appendage\" doesn\'t sit below the belt! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    By the way Tom, I was trying to figure out where this function of up and down bowing is. I am not hearing a difference using the sustain pedal as you discribed. How exactly does this work? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Its what ever controller you have bound for legato play applys bow stroke to those instruments instead. I think! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    ..You hold the Alt key down while..

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dont think you use the alt key at all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But im confused now. Really. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If i use an ens string (eg. guarn ens 1) and push the pedal down, i will get a down stroke? If i hold it down and play notes with space between them there will be a lot of downstrokes? But if i play two notes overlapping (or not overlapping??) there will be legatostyle?

The blind leading the blind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One more blind opinion.

I think you have two places where there is alternate bowing. In each solo string instrument (not in the ens 1,2,3 / I don\'t think!!$#^%@@$%!) and in the Short bows.

To get an alternate bowing \"feel\" with any of the solo string instruments you play the first note with sustain pedal normal (0) then for the alternate bow you put the sustain pedal down (127). This will give you Tom\'s alternate bowing.

With the Short Bows, every other note is alternate (sustain pedal has no function)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

In order to achive this effectively in real time playing one must practice practice practice! Can this be implemented after the notes are scored?

Yes Styxx, this can be implemented after the notes have been recorded. Just use the key editor in your favorite sequencer to draw in the sustain pedal data. This is what I do, that way you can control exactly where the alternating bowing will take place (and you can delete the bow-stokes that fell in the wrong places) without ever altering your note value data.

Go Back to forum