• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about using "two computers"....please.

Share/Bookmark

Question about using \"two computers\"....please.

Okay, I think I\'m gonna need a little help here. First, let me begin by saying that I have always run GigaStudio and my sequencer (Sonar) on just one computer... without a lot of problems. Now, I am getting ready to add second computer (my girlfriend has a friend who is getting ready to buy a laptop, and she said she\'ll just give her computer system to me if I want it... I really don\'t even know much about the computer system yet) And, of course, I said \"Yeah, I\'ll be glad to have it!\" Here\'s my question.... There have been a lot of things said about running your sequencer (Sonar) and GigaStudio 160 on seperate computers on this forum.... Okay, is there a big advantage to doing this, and also... could someone please briefly explain the benefits of doing this. One more thing and then I will be quiet... Could ya\'ll let me know how to \"hook-up\" the two computers together so that they\'ll work properly. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Re: Question about using \"two computers\"....please.

A long time ago I\'ve got 2 Midi interfaces but now I think the Midi-overlan is easier and cheaper :

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

If you\'re running Giga and Sonar on the same computer without a lot of problems, ny intial thought is \"if ain\'t broke...\"

Buy yeah, eventually we all get around to screwing with things. It\'s in our nature, I think. The main reason to have seperate computers is obvious...more power. Your DAW using a lot of processing power, RAM, and hard drive space. Having a seperate allows the DAW to function running the DAW software only, while the second computer\'s processor, RAM, and hard drive run the sampler.

Getting the audio back into your DAW can be acomplished in several ways. Capture to Wave, realtime palyback, ADAT interfaces..etc to name a few. I will say GS 3.0 and the release of the Giga FX wrapper is probably going to go a long way into making this process easier.

<font color=\"brown\"> Thanks both of you for your replies! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>
    <font color=\"brown\"> So, how would the two computers be linked together????? </font> Gary

It is just a matter of sending midi commands from your sequencer to your sampler. There are various ways of doing this, but as Sicmu has said above, MOL is an incredibly easy way to add 16 ports of midi (128 channels) to work with over several computers. It\'s expandable, if you add new machines you only have to add an additional network card to get the new comuter on the network. It\'s the least expensive option, really. Otherwise, you are looking at two 4 port midi boxes (one for each computer, for inputs and outputs) to get your computers talking on all 4 ports Giga uses. The cost of the boxes and midi cabling is much more than MOL, and you get less capability with the physical than you do with the software/network approach.

Go to the website Sicmu listed and check out MidiOverLan. If you have two computers, get them on a network (can be done for under $30 if you don\'t need to worry about transfering lots of data (anything more than midi commands) between the computers...) Basically all that\'s happening is the MidiOverLan driver creates software midi ports within the computer it is installed on. These ports will show up within your sequencer once you\'ve installed MOL on that computer. They will show up under the ports listings within Gigastudio once they are installed on that computer. Route the midi signals to the proper desitnations, just like you do now, and you\'re in business.

The other issue is deciding how to get the sound from the GS machine back into your multitrack software. And, as stated above, there are lots of ways to do this. Personally, I just bring the outputs from my GS machines into an outboard mixer and back into SX. I do that for monitoring only, while I\'m composing. When certain tracks are finished, I will render important ones down digitally within Giga, then bring them over the network and into the sequence. That is kind of a pain, if ya ask me, so I only really do that if the track is exposed. The other tracks get made when I simply hit the record button and record watever is solo\'d.

This is a dirty way of getting my sequences recorded, but it is very simple. If you can bring the audio back digitally, do it, via spdif or whatever. Check out more FX software, like the upcoming Gigawrapper?

GL with the work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    mike

oops, meant to say 16ports = 256 midi channels accross your networked computers, not 128.

I\'ve run two PCs from time to time when necessary, using good ole 5-pin midi cables.

MOL seems like a much more elegant solution - can it run between PCs networked through a router?

How about FXteleport through a router? Does it need to be gigabit?

--Eric

Go Back to forum