• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Opus1 loading into Logic Pro

Share/Bookmark

VSL Opus1 loading into Logic Pro

I read over at the VSL forum that there is a problem with the amount of Opus1 loading into Logic.

I know its a big library. Just wondering what the state-of-the-art is right now. With Logic Pro, did anything get resolved on ability to load samples?

I\'ve got a G5 with an extra SATA internal drive. What kind of mileage could I expect?

ANOTHER question.

Does Opus 1 come with the legato tool? Is it difficult to use? Is it kind of automatic based on what note you\'re going to. I\'d hate to have to choose which of the 24 options of moving notes on every step.

Re: VSL Opus1 loading into Logic Pro

The number of, and which, programs you can load simultaneously will depend on: how much RAM you have; the settings you specify for Virtual Memory; and whether or not you\'ve used the EXS Manager to sample merge your programs. Hard drive size and CPU speed have nothing to do with sample loading.

Opus 1 includes legato and alternation programs, and registered owners can download the Performance Tool for free. Its use is pre-programmed into the EXS programs.

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'ve got a G5 with an extra SATA internal drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

4G of Ram and I\'m willing to do whatever it takes to get more out of a library. Does that help anyone?

I understand that the legato instruments take more. But I\'m just trying to get an idea if its worthwhile buying or should I be looking elsewhere.

How does the sample merge work? Is it a new programming skil to learn? Do you do it as you\'re building a piece? Or is it something you do for a template? Is it time consuming?

One specific question (and it is the reason I specified that I had read the threads at VSL and that I had Logic Pro) is whether or not eMagic and OSX 10.3.3 had fixed any of the \"open file\" limitations.

I should have been more specific.

Hi rJames,

Currently I\'m running:

Mac G5 Dual | 2 WD 160 7200rpm HDs | Logic 6.3.3 | EXS24MkII
    VSL First Edition (EXS version) | 512MB RAM

My machine as configured can comfortably run two instances of Altiverb and 40 instances of EXS Audio Instruments - usually of that 40 I assign at least 6 utilizing performance tool. Not the largest setup but when you consider I\'m also bussing 32 EWQLSO Gold Edition instruments from a VisionDAW into a touch of Altiverb (second instance) it works fine for what I\'m doing.

I believe that with your present system as described you should be able to surpass these mac system performance ratings. Good luck.

ps: btw I wouldn\'t recommend sample merging until you really know your way around VSL. Its not something you can change and once its done you\'re stuck with it unless you want to spend the time to reload VSL.

Thanks Frederick. That\'s the answer I was looking for. I know its just a guess.

I forgot to mention my G5 is Dual 2G. (4G ram, 2 internal SATA drives)

not altogether true frederick,
    open an exs instrument save it as something else, and do what you want with the new patch. Copy, paste from other instruments. Delete layers if you want. Hell, delete everything but one note and stretch that one across the entire keyboard... however... that may defeat the purpose of VSL. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

cb

Go Back to forum