• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brotherhood of the Wolf - score practice

Brotherhood of the Wolf - score practice

rJames posted a .mov file where he added his own music to a scene from Brotherhood of the Wolf that had no music set to it. A few of us thought it was a slick idea and there was some talk about taking a stab at the same thing.

Here\'s my result after a few hours of work.. it wasn\'t easy. I\'m a game guy, not a film guy, so setting the music totally freeform against what was going on visually was challenging. Also, for the fight scene where the good guy starts kicking , I decided to do something totally weird & different, but I think it works. It\'s got more of a \"I\'m gonna have a great time kicking your asses\" mood rather than the high intensity stuff that\'s so common.

http://www.samhulick.com/Brotherhood.mpg (18MB)

MPEG-1 format, 44.1KHz stereo, should play OK on most systems, lemme know if it doesn\'t.

PS: Seems my web site is a lot slower than usual right now... be patient with the download. I put in a support ticket so maybe they\'ll fix it and then you should see 150-200KB/sec speeds again.

Castle Rock, Colorado

Re: Brotherhood of the Wolf - score practice

That\'s pretty cool! Changing the mood when the good guy starts whippin\' up on the bad guys worked. Quantum Leap Rare Instruments?

Yep, QLRI is used heavily in this clip.

Very nice job Sam. You have a clear instinct for story telling through sound. I love the sudden silence just prior to the good guys (or are they bad guys?) entering the scene on horesback. The music isn\'t too heavy which I think is nice because the scene is already so dramatic. It also sounds distinctive - not another clone of something else... You pick good points to highlight the visuals with musical mirroring (such as one the bad as$ at the end dismounts his horse you have a cymbal hit as the water splashes). You don\'t mirror every moment but the places you do mirror seem carefully thought out.

Castle Rock, Colorado

Agreed. Your use of pacing was really good here Sam.

Very nice Sam,
    I think you have a nice sense of it. I like the idea of going against the grain during the fight too. Really gives it a different twist. Teetering on the edge of comical. It could be finessed a bit but all in all nice job.

OK, my turn. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously, my thoughts. BTW I\'ve pretty much given up. I may give it another stab. I started from scratch but couldn\'t get my library to do what I heard in my head. I\'ll probably try again later and give you another stab at me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I don\'t know if you\'ve taken your own advice. I have NO credentials to back me up here.

I think its too happy at the beginning. I don\'t get a sense of impending danger. And then when that Bass Trombone strikes its too much and it gets bigger from there. I went too high on sadness, I think you\'ve gone too high in apocalypse. Gong adds more apocalypse.

I love the transition from the assault to the fight. But I think the fight music is too heroic, not like my Superman heroic but still it sounds heroic and bouncy happy. I wish the music had a sense of mystery but still gave an impression that this guy stands up for the poor and downtrodden.

The other posts seem to think its right on so I\'m probably still subconsciously pissed that you didn\'t think mine was perfect.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] what do I know??

You\'re right, the beginning sequence doesn\'t quite work.. I had to struggle with it. Maybe this is why the actual composer left music out for that part [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And yeah, I took the heroic angle for the fight..but it was someone else who suggested to not do the heroic thing. I think the heroic thing works OK for this.. I just decided to go the happy -kicking route [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I\'m not sure how a mysterious fight would sound. I could\'ve done just a percussive cue to the fight but it would\'ve sounded way too much like Crouching Tiger.

How about adding a dissonance to your Am in a far off Horn that approaches. Maybe a second dissonance and third add up before your BTbone.

Here are a couple of other attempts at scoring to picture. These are trailers and are probably too tight to picture too.

I\'ll take these down in a couple of days.

\"Happy -Kicking Music\"

ROTFLMAO! Simply Outstanding - I\'m going to use that phrase in my next meeting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But seriously, I think that the standard-pat \"orchestra plays action music\" here that you could become a sticky wicket. I see a lot more atmospheric things happening, mainly because the slow motion portions give you that \"moment\" of clarity that takes the viewer out of reality, and the audience tends to be more forgiving of good synth work in those instances, even when the larger portion of the soundtrack is period influenced music. I\'ve already done one Brotherhood cue for my demo reel, but you guys might just get me thinking about this enough to do this one too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum