• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New piece

Share/Bookmark

New piece

I have revised a piece I wrote in 1993 for violin, viola, cello and DBl bass. It has a cool twist to it. The piece hasn\'t been edited and is in its ruff stages using GPO instruments. I need more time learning how to edit note values thus make it sound more realistic using Overture. I would like to share it with you and receive some feedback. If you are interested please send me a private and I will send an mp3 to you. Sorry, I cannot post for everyone to hear as of yet.
    No prize to be won just curious to see who can catch the twist! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: New piece

Bump...

(Styxx, if it\'s under 3MB, could you e-mail it to me?)

[ QUOTE ]
    Bump...

(Styxx, if it\'s under 3MB, could you e-mail it to me?)

[/ QUOTE ]

\"Bump\"? Are you sure that\'s not \"Bimp\"? As in Pink Panther? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sent this morning. One thing you will notice right off the bat. The velocity is the same with every instruments and notes. I exported the midi file to HS2004 and took a look at the velocity settings. From what I can tell, there is plenty of editing to do. Mind you, this was done on an MC50mrkII sequencer in 1993. God only knows I was new to using midi. (funny, I still feel \"new\") [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Nevertheless, it will have to wait till my musical is finished. I lost a lot of time over the holiday. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Thanks again.

The immortal Pink Panther:

<font color=\"blue\"> \"I\'ve come to fix the fern!\" </font>

Re: New piece - Here it is!

http://www.lostandlonging.com/Upsidedown%20(let\'s%20play)%20overture.mp3
    I don\'t know if this works this way but here is the link to a piece I wrote in 1993 for Violin, Viola, Cello, and Dbl bass (which didn\'t sound for some reason) go figure.
    In this piece is a twist that I wanted to share with you. If you can identify where it is and what is happening you will win Jun Yamamoto\'s brand spanking new GPO T-shirt. Autographed by the master!
    Jun, I couldn\'t resist! Just kidding![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS - This piece has never been edited as you will notice. So forgive me - I WAS JUST STARTING OUT USING MIDI AT THE TIME! It was done on a Roland MC50mrkII using a Roland FP-88 stage piano. Sorry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    So Let\'s Play!

I used an MC300 through most of the early 90s. I think it was pretty close to the same thing as the 50.

I don\'t know if it\'s a twist, but a couple of lines are played backwards and forwards and the top and bottom parts swap places in the middle only to change back.

Hey, at the time those sequencers where not bad!
    I called it a twist because at the time I wrote it I suffered writers block for a couple of days. After, I picked it up off my desk upside-down and backwards, held it to the light and copied down what I saw. The rest is self explanatory.
    I guess I thought it was clever at the time. Interesting to say the least.
    Thanks, but I am sorry to say Jun Yamamoto will not give up the T-shirt! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No shirt? Darn. I guess I’ll have to put up a quick 1000 posts and see if I can be the 15,000 poster and get one that way.

It’s a fun little ditty. Kind of like finger exercises gone wild. Is this GPO? The 1st violin sounds very synthy, but it gives it a \"Switched on Bach\" feel.

I’ve been thinking a lot of backwards and upside-down (retrograde and inverted?) because the old piece I’m trying to re-orchestrate uses those “tricks” quite a bit. Untangling what I wrote 10 years ago isn’t always fun. Trying to fit it into a new context is even worse.

Yes, I switched the instruments to GPO. I used the Strad solo violin and to me it sounds kind of thin to begin with. Just where the cello and violin switch parts on the eigth and sixteenth notes the violin gets even synthier. That may be due to the velocity set at 127 for all the note values. Time permitting I may edit the velocity, then again it\'s an old piece. Like you say \"finger exercise\".
    It was fun to do at the time and now having GPO I wanted to hear what it sounded with Garritan instruments.

I think this will turn out really nice once you get the velocity levels under control.Try out the # 3 Guarneri patch its alot more fuller sounding. Keep on trucken ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum