• Register
  • Help

Topic: Full Overture versus SE

Share/Bookmark

Full Overture versus SE

Can anyone using the full version of Overture tell me the essential difference(s) between it and SE?

I\'m not particularly interested in notational features (I have Finale 2004) -- I\'m just trying to get a handle on something for music composition. One of the things that struck me in looking at Geniesoft\'s website was that Overture allowed voicings to be in different colors, something I have always missed in any program I\'ve used. I don\'t know if the SE version allows this (I have yet to install it -- will do so tonight) but it would be a huge factor for me. And obviously controlling GPO better would be a nice plus.

On a not-unlrelated aside, it seems to me that GPO highlights an essential need in software for compositional purposes that doesn\'t exist. There are terrific Notational programs out there (like Finale and Sibielus), there are wonderful sequencers available (like Sonar and Pro Tools) but for those of us who feel more at home with composing on a staff there doesn\'t appear to be anything that exists that directly addresses this.

My experience with notational programs is they are so concerned with getting it \"looking right\" they make the compositional process much more complicated than it needs be. And sequencers, when they do add staff views, are so clumsy to work in in this manner it isn\'t even worth the effort.

Fifteen years or so ago I had the only program I\'ve ever found which was perfect for this (obviously, IMHO). It used colors to allow you to easily differentiate the instruments on a minimum of staves (so on the computer screen you could easily discern and place the then 16 instruments allowed by MIDI on just two or three staves without scrolling around) and while it wouldn\'t be considered very sophisticated for printing scores, it was exactly what was needed to compose. I wrote things there so easily I just wish I had been able to continue doing so (it only ran on the Amiga, but that\'s a whole other story).

Why can\'t someone see this need and address it? Or am I the only one that perceives it?

Re: Full Overture versus SE

No you are definitely not the only one who preceives it. I was thinking of expressing that same sentiment once I bit the bullet and purchased GPO.

I think there is an underserved market segment for \'notational composers\'. I use SmartScore\'s notational software (SmartScore is aligned with Finale) but GPO and its partners seemed to have hit the proverbial nail on the head...notationally speaking.

you have something there right enough i too feel more at home composing on staves. i use cubase sx2 which has a score facility but is a right pig when it comes to inserting notes. i have tried various notation programs (demo\'s and full) and i have never found anything i was really happy with untill i found overture se in the gpo bundle. i now use it almost exclusively for my compositional work, especially the first drafts.
    so i would be interested in hearing some first hand experience with overture full.

slán

mick ó c

PatS

Here are some of the essential differences between the full and the SE versions of Overture:

1. The full version supports up to 64 staves; the SE version supports up to 32.

2. The full version supports up to 8 voices and channels per staff; the SE version supports up to 4 (as viewed in the Tracks window; the Score window still allows you to select Voices 1-8).

3. Only the full version supports guitar frames, chord symbols and lyrics.

4. Only the full version allows you to load and edit various program \"libraries\" (Allotment Table, Chord Symbols, Drum Map, Expression Playback, Guitar Frames, and Instruments).

I\'m not sure how similar Overture SE is to Score Writer, but the following comparison page may help you see other differences between the full and SE versions:

http://www.geniesoft.com/products/comparison.htm

BTW, all of the GPO-related features in Overture SE are available in the full version.

Pat

[ QUOTE ]

2. The full version supports up to 8 voices and channels per staff; the SE version supports up to 4 (as viewed in the Tracks window; the Score window still allows you to select Voices 1-8).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat,

Thanks for the information. What you are saying above seems like it might be what I\'m looking for -- are you saying I can have multiple instruments in the same staff? IOW, can I put Flute and Oboe voicings in the same staff, and use (hopefully) coloration to differentiate between them?

If so, this may indeed be the holy grail I was looking for (assuming note entry isn\'t horrendous). For some reason this approach (of using a small set of staves to compose with) makes sense to me.

I guess if I can do this with 4 voices in the SE version I need to install that and give it a shot.

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess if I can do this with 4 voices in the SE version I need to install that and give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'ve got Overture SE 3.6.0, with the recent updates.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]To turn on voice colors:
    Click Options
    Click Show ->
    Click Voices in Color

voice 1 - Black
    voice 2 - <font color=\"blue\"> Blue </font>
    voice 3 - <font color=\"purple\"> Purple</font>
    voice 4 - <font color=\"orange\"> Orange </font>

Mike,

Yes, you can assign a different instrument to each of the 8 voices (or 4 in SE).

Overture was designed from the ground up to be not only a scoring tool, but also a sequencing tool. It has by far the best midi implementation of any scoring program, and approaches that of some of the sequencing programs.

-- Martin

PatS

[ QUOTE ]

Pat,

Thanks for the information. What you are saying above seems like it might be what I\'m looking for -- are you saying I can have multiple instruments in the same staff? IOW, can I put Flute and Oboe voicings in the same staff, and use (hopefully) coloration to differentiate between them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can assign different instruments to the same staff (edit: I just noticed that Martin already said this). Use the Tracks Window to set, among other things, the number of voices per staff (enter the number in the \"Voices\" column), the instrument for each voice (click the triangle in the first column to expand the voice list), and the stem direction for each voice (click the note symbol in the \"Stem\" column to select up-stem, down-stem or both stem directions). Then select Options--&gt;Show--&gt;Voices in Color (edit: I see that Adam already mentioned this).

The voice colors are as follows:

1=black
    2=blue
    3=purple
    4=orange
    5=green
    6=burgundy
    7=pink
    8=yellow (difficult to see against a white score page)

I don\'t know how to customize these colors, but I suspect it\'s possible.

Pat

Go Back to forum