• Register
  • Help

Topic: New GPO user with questions please.

Share/Bookmark

New GPO user with questions please.

I just got GPO, and have been messing with it for a few weeks. I love it!!! I have a few questions that I am not finding by scrolling/searching through the forums here (or by looking in the manual on a quick review).

Let me say that I am using GPO on OSX 10.3.3 in Logic 6.41 with what appears to be the latest download of the Kontact Player.

1. Multi\'s.... a few questions here. Are the included multi\'s sort of like \"layered combi\'s\" that have been programmed to be a multi part layered patch (many instruments playing on one key press)? Or are they more like \"convenience sets\" that simply load up good patches to use together, but individually sequenced? The reason I ask this, is that whenever I load a Multi, each of the 8 patches defults to it\'s own midi channel, rather than to Omni so that they can be played \"at once from one key\". So in order to play them together, I need to adjust each patch to omni, and this does not \"save\" this way, so I have to do this every time I load a Multi, which is frustrating. So it got me thinking that these included Multis are not intended to be \"layered combis\", but just a convenient grouping of individual parts? Or am I wrong and doing something wrong to get Kontact Player to load these Multi\'s in omni mode?????

2. I am looking at finding other orchestral libraries...but am interested in more of a construction kit/set style of orchestral phrases, rather than more individual instrument patches (since GPO is so comprehensive in this regard). I have used a few CDroms (ie: Advanced Media Tracks) that have orchestral contruction sets, and I find these great for cutting and pasting phrase elements into my own compositions. It gives a level of great realism since these phrases were played by a real orchestra, and exhibit articulations or phrasings that would be difficult to emulate with an individual sampled instrument. Are there any other good libraries that have these type of phrases? Perhaps Peter S. Advanced Orchestra? Or is it just another instrument library? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks very much for taking the time...

Ron

Re: New GPO user with questions please.

bump....please....

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Multi\'s.... a few questions here. Are the included multi\'s sort of like \"layered combi\'s\" that have been programmed to be a multi part layered patch (many instruments playing on one key press)? Or are they more like \"convenience sets\" that simply load up good patches to use together, but individually sequenced?

[/ QUOTE ]

Idividually sequenced, they are on seperate patches, just load all at once for quicker prep time, so instead of having to build a string quintet everytime, there is already one there...

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Are there any other good libraries that have these type of phrases? Perhaps Peter S. Advanced Orchestra? Or is it just another instrument library? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks very much for taking the time...

Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

I don\'t know if there are any good ones as I haven\'t explored this area of libraries. Peter S. AO, is similar to GPO in that it does not offer loops, just single note samples to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps other users of loop libs can chime in here?

Ron,

Question #1: Alan is correct. The Multis are more “convenience” sets to speed up the loading process for commonly used combinations. But MIDI channel assignments are totally up to you. You can put all instruments in “omni,” or on the same MIDI channel, or on separate MIDI channels. Whatever you need – just scroll each instrument to the desired MIDI channel. When you save your sequencer song file it should save the MIDI channel assignments too. If you regularly use a particular combination of instruments it is best to save “template” song files in your sequencer. That way you can save not only instrument assignments and MIDI channels but track names, reverb settings, custom panning and level settings, etc.

Question #2: I’ll avoid comment on the subject of composing vs. cut-and-paste phrase assembly but there are some CDs available that will do what you describe. AO does include some phrases but they are more “a fast run here and an arpeggio there” kind of thing rather than musical phrases. Soundsonline.com has things like Scoring Tools, Symphonic Adventures, and Orchestral Flavors. I believe they are on sale now. Check formats to be sure you can use them with your software.

Tom

I think that this information helps me too, or am I just confused?

No - I think it helps

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you read the replies, they do make sense Charlie

Go Back to forum