• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Real Orchestration w/GPO

Share/Bookmark

First Real Orchestration w/GPO

After playing with GPO for a little while, doing little string quartets and trying to record some Vivaldi I discovered I had troubles when I tried to use too many instruments.

A new computer later and...

I decided to try and orchestrate a piece I did back in the mid 90s called \"St. George and the Dragon\". This was originally written for a show at a local gallery which had specific goals. Now that I\'m free to do what I want and have the tools..

Anyway, the original begining worked fine but won\'t really work for what I have in mind. I came up with a few ideas for a new beginning and used those ideas for my first GPO orchestration, a new introduction for \"St. George and the Dragon\".

The first link is the first section (and a few notes into the next) of the original recording. Most of the thematic material for my new intro comes from this section. The second link is the actual intro done with GPO. The gong was put in mostly just to cap it for now and will be removed. I really didn\'t \"engineer\" this - I just stuck a little reverb on, checked to ensure levels never got above 0 and exported to mp3.
    http://trentsworld.com/music/postings/old-st-georj-clip-01.mp3
    http://trentsworld.com/music/postings/st-georj1-02.mp3

Any comments (besides the mix is terrible)? Any hints for improvement? Although you don\'t know exactly what I\'m going to do with the original beyond using orchestral sounds instead of synth sounds, do you think the new intro will fit?

Any comments appreciated.

Re: First Real Orchestration w/GPO

So the second MP3 (1 minute 13 seconds) is the proposed new introduction to a re-working of the original piece?

I\'d say the instruments in the new Intro are 300% more believable that then first (which, I assume, you were going for a totally synth sound). As you noted, the mix could use further detailed attention (down the road) and I think it\'s safe to say that your acumen as a composer has greatly improved between the two efforts.

I anxiously await your first posting of the \"merger\".

Cheers! kev [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The original was all done with an old (even at that time) Kawai K5 played from the sequencer in real time into a cassette recorder, so the technology has come a long way. I’m hoping you’re right that my composing has too. I am definately putting a bit more of a \"modern\" flair to it, at least up to the 19th century instead of the 17th.

Pounding the old work into shape to record is taking a while. Hopefully I’ll be able get into it and get it into shape.

Thanks for listening.

Trent,

Nice composition and arrangement. Quite a difference between the two. It may help to master the use of the legato feature in your performance.

As you work on this, please post it so we can hear how it progresses.

Thanks for posting this,

Gary Garritan

Nice to be able to contrast the two versions so we can all hear just how far we\'ve come. I almost bought a K-5 but decided to trade-in my Mirage for an EPS \'cause it had that cool \'poly\' aftertouch keyboard that wound up being too hard to control.

Those were the days............

Thanks for the responses. Trying to coordinate foot pedal with everything is taking a while, but I think my big problem with legato is not holding the notes long enough so I don\'t get any overlap. I\'ll check the note data, but I agree it sounds a bit choppy.

I\'m still working on an arrangement for this. I\'m keeping a lot less of the counterpoint than originally planned. Then I still have two other sections/movements to dig through. I\'ll post again when I get to a good \"resting\" point.

I spent years using a Casio CZ-101 and Yamaha DX100 so getting a used K-5 for a less than my CZ cost was a great deal. I like the sound, but it was quite right for trying to sound realistic.

Thanks for listening.

Go Back to forum