• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIC PRE? M-AUDIO'S TAMPA OR FOCUSRITE'S TWINTRAK

Share/Bookmark

MIC PRE? M-AUDIO\'S TAMPA OR FOCUSRITE\'S TWINTRAK

Hi just debating amougst the two. I hear really good things about the two of them . Any input?.

Re: MIC PRE? M-AUDIO\'S TAMPA OR FOCUSRITE\'S TWINTR

Hi,

I am not at all saavy with the focusrite, but I can tell you a little about my experience with the Tampa.

I would say that I find the sound of the Tampa to be \"sweet\". I know that a lot of other reviews out there have characterized it the same way. Even without the influence those reviews had on my purchase of the Tampa, the very first word that would come to mind when listening to playback of a recording would be \"sweet\".

I really like the compressor, it is smooth, and very discrete. It doesn\'t have a tendency to make things too punchy, which is a big plus for me.

I recorded my 3 year old niece talking into it about a month ago, using a rode NT2000, and the analog outs into my lynx l22-- and I keep on having to go back and listen tothe recording over and over again. All chilldren have a natural ability to sound \"sweet\" (when they want to), but I feel that the Tampa really brought this quality out even more! I am going to keep this recording for years to come!

I also tried doing some recordings with sax and clarinet. I had to experiment, (still experimenting) with the preamp. But it did make my clarinet sound \"sweet\" at a proper mic distance. It seems to me that having a good distance of at least 4 feet away worked best with my woodwinds in eliciting the sweet factor, but that may just be a matter of personal opinion.

I haven\'t really tried hearing what my recordings sound like in a mix yet, mainly because I want to have better mic cables first (thinking about getting some Zaolas, anyone know about these?) But I will get back and let you know what I think once I get some higher end cables.

By the way, what sources did you read about the Tampa in, for the good things you\'ve heard about it?

Well Thanks for you feed back. Besides reading all the good reviews, it\'s good to hear from an actual user. I trust you know what you hear, and for how much there going for doesn\'t seem to bad for a single channel. My main instruments to be used will be Native American flutes, Acoustic and classical guitar and vocals. So I am hopeing that this unit will do the job. I currently own the Art TPS, and there is a couple things I don\'t like. For one the presets it comes with, I find there to noisy or a little dull. The second thing is the fact both channels share the same tube, Blah for me this is no good. It\'s not all that bad but I hopeing the TAMPA will meet my needs beyond. Thanks for your input and do let me know about any additional mixes. Thanks again.

No problem!

I will try to do some recording into an actual mix tomorrow, even with the cables I am using now. I really want to get some Zaolas!

I think that the pre would sound good on a flute and guitars. I have heard that these preamps are really good when using them as a DI input, and am waiting to get my uncle to bring his bass and electric to try out.

Another thing that I like about this pre is that there is no upkeep with tubes. You get some pretty decent harmonics, and if what I get isn\'t enough, I have found that the dsp/fx aural activator is excellent for exciting the signal.

It is also pretty transparent, as well. I use a grace 101 a lot, and even though the 101 has been praised for it\'s sense of presence and depth, I have found that for woodwinds, it is just a little too \"in my face\". Yes, I hear virtually EVERYTHING with the grace 101--the sound of my sax pads clicking, the sound of my reed vibrating, sometimes even the FEEL of my reed vibrating. That\'s just too much for me at times, and the Tampa puts some of those distracting sounds into the background, while still remaining clear.

I would say what prompted me to buy the Tampa the most was the recently reduced price. I don\'t think I would ever have paid the original MSRP of $799.99, and even the 500 would have been too steep for me. But for $330.00 dollars? I\'m sold, and will probably buy another for some stereo recording in the near future.

I have a Voicemaster Pro and a Tampa. Both are good for diff things. I use the Tampa with a AT 4050 and the Voicemaster with a AKG 414. The VM has a drier brighter sound to it (that\'s why i\'m using the AKG, which has a fuller low end sound than the AT). The Tampa has, as MusicalCharities pointed out, a \'sweeter\' sound to it than the VM (so i use the AT mic with it since it tends to have more \'bite\' to it). My interface is a Delta 1010. I use both pre\'s in stereo when recording vocals, believe it or not, and get great results - you can listen to the vocals via mp3 at Word Song. Hope this helps..

Art

Hello, I am new and have \"Gas\"... (Gear aqisition Syndrome)

I might be able to help, or need help here. I have an instrument and voice studio In So. Cal. I tried to find a thread where new people are supposed to post, but couldnt find one. This is where I will be most of the time, so here I be.

Nice to be here

Joey

Go Back to forum