• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Under the Old Magnolia

Share/Bookmark

Under the Old Magnolia

I\'ve been working on this piece for the past two weekends and thought I\'d share it with everyone. As always, I welcome your comments and criticism as I still have so much to learn.

Under The Old Magnolia

Instruments used:
    Solo Instruments: Piccolo V, Flute V, Classical Oboe, English Horn, Eb Clarinet, Bb Clarinet, Bassoon, Piccolo Trumpet, and Tuba 1.
    Ens Instruments:
    Trumpet Ens 1 & 2, French Horn Ens 1 & 2, Violins 1 Lush, Violins 2 Lush, Violas Sus/Short, Cellos Sus/Short, Basses Sus/Short, Violins 1 pizz, Violins 2 pizz, Violas pizz, Cellos pizz, and Basses pizz.

Thank you in advance!

William

Re: Under the Old Magnolia

William

The strings sound amazing. Very well done!

- Junk

Wonderful piece! The strings are outstanding. I think the piece is also aptly titled. It conjures up images of Norman Rockwell-type paintings for me, with maybe kids playing on a tire swing hanging from the magnolia tree. To my mind, its very Americana. Its also very joyous, not unlike the feel of the first movement of Beethoven\'s Pastoral Symphony.

Two thoughts I had were whether you considered having the opening solo flute theme played by a clarinet (which might me a little warmer sounding than a flute), and whether the solo flute might have some light accompaniment? I\'m not saying the piece could be improved by these suggestions, I am only inquiring about your thought process in composing the piece. I suppose the solo flute does provide a stark contrast to the warmth and richness of your orchestratino immediately following, and this was the exact effect you were looking for.

Your transitions are effortless. I really enjoyed the piece.

By the way, what reverb/settings did you use?

Great work once again, William. I really like this a lot. My only criticism is that the string section needs some legato and a touch of alt bowing. Otherwise, excellent piece.

Very nicely done, William. I enjoyed listening.

-- Martin

Absolutely blodoy marvellous Wild Willie West! What a delightful piece. Furlan nailed it.....Joyous! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Evocative of a country-dance in summer around the maypole! Oh to be young and gay? again!!! Frolicking in the meadow like a spring onion....sorry...lamb. Running along a hillside with the puffy white clouds scudding overhead like paper down a toilet......OK I admit it, the piece lifted me up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I just love the orchestration the simple jaunty melody, the rhythms, the instrumentation. I love the polished finish too……is that an impulse? Tell me it’s the supplied reverb. This really sounds like a very expensive library indeed……it’s going to psis off the folk on the main forum again……you know….the ones who are kicking themselves for spending $k! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It would be churlish to mention a couple of tiny places that it maybe could be improved.....I feel ashamed for even writing this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I kick myself everytime I visit the forum as I should be getting on with my own things, but I am just so amazed at what I keep hearing here. This piece is right up there amongst the top ones……..If it doesn’t end up on Garritan.com I’ll eat my hat. It shows yet again that if you can do it, so can GPO. Talent rules.....

Can’t wait to hear more

Frank

Nice work!
    Only one thing I would do personally, connect the strings more. Other than, it\'s a wonderful happy joyous piece.
    Very nice.

Another wonderful composition William. I have another favorite demo! Of course, if you posted this in the main forum stupid comments would arise. \"It sounds synthy?\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] They\'d come up with something I\'m sure.

Greetings from under the magnolia! Sorry it has taken me so long to responded to all the wonderful comments and suggestions. Thank you for taking time out to listen and share your thoughts!

Once upon a time… I was playing around with the different instruments in GPO and was struck with inspiration when I got to the piccolo. With the record button on I simply played whatever came to mind (or from the heart). The solo piccolo line that begins the composition was the result and on which everything else was built. So I left it intact. Orchestration is rather difficult for me so there was a lot of trial and error. In some places the accompaniment came first followed by secondary themes. Sometimes secondary themes preceded and dictated the accompaniment. The violin descant came last quite by mistake. After a little bit of development it saved the day.

I used Sonar 3 PE and the VST version of GPO. After getting the dry recording I applied an impulse response file with Acoustic Mirror in Soundforge and rendered the MP3. That’s it. No EQ or other effects was used.

However, I was having problems with the legato mode – it worked great on the woodwinds but crashed on the brass and parts of the strings (hung notes and all!). When time allows I’m going to re-address these issues and rerecord the changes. And maybe get that ALT Bow thing!

Thank you again for the encouragement!

William

Awesome piece of music!

Go Back to forum