• Register
  • Help

Topic: TUSCAN AFFAIR - User Collaboration

Orcas Island

TUSCAN AFFAIR - User Collaboration

William West composed a beautiful piece called the \"Tuscan Affair\" which was posted a short while ago.

At that time there was mention about using user demos to collaborate and learn by. Francesco was kind enough to offer to work on Tuscan Affair and William agreed.

Here is our first collaberation among GPO users:

It is interesting to hear how Francesco worked his magic on the already stirring composition. Both William and Francesco did an extraordinary job. Any further comments to improve this piece would be welcome.

Hope you enjoy this and that we have more user collaberations.

Gary Garritan

Re: TUSCAN AFFAIR - User Collaboration

Wow! Francesco rocks! It is so wonderful to hear his spin on Tuscan Affair. I am in awe. Thank you Francesco! The expression you achieve with all of the GPO tools ( Mod-wheel dynamics, legato, etc) are simply incredible. I can only hope to emulate your talent!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Gary personally for his help with this composition. Poor Gary had to listen over and over again to some really scary recordings. But he patiently guided me and encouraged me through the next rewrite the recording that followed (postings from fellow GPO users were responsible for at least 4 of those rewrites! Thanks for the great comments – I tried to use each one!)
    After six different passes (altering dynamics, adding legato, etc), I must admit I had reached a brick wall with what I could do based on my knowledge and skill. That is when I threw in the towel. Gary thought a collaboration could be helpful and that is when Francesco stepped in.

Dave below thought it would be great to post the original recording so that Francesco\'s touch could be fully appreciated.
    Original Tuscan Affair

I have learned so much from this experience – just write the music and let Francesco take over from there! (Just kidding!) I do have a greater sense of the areas in which I need to improve and how to improve them.
    Again, thank you Gary and Francesco for everything!!!

You are right in the area that Francesco rocks and is awesome. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have never heard a single thing that he has done that is less than stellar and amazing. But don\'t you think that it might be a bit presumptious [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]if we were to all expect him to finish our unfinished works. After all he has given us many examples to emulate and that in itself is worth a fortune. And someday he is going to give us a bigger treat when we see that GPO tutorial he is working on. We must learn to be patient and enjoy all of the many lessons we have received so far IMHO. I am certainly glad that he was able to help you get straightened out and now maybe you can use that as a learning tool for all of the rest of us. For example, suppose if we can hear a wave file of your piece in its beginning stages at the point where you said your back was against the wall and where Francesco took over, and then if we can hear a wave (and or midi file) after Francesco does his magic (or hard work) then we can perhaps be guided by the changes that he has brought about to improve and master your piece. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway just a few thoughts.

I\'m speechless... William & Francesco, congrats, this is an achievement!

This collaboration/experiment was a total success. Congrats to both of you on an inspiring piece of work. \"We are the makers of music, and we are the dreamers of dreams\" ... I always wonder whether to attribute the quote to Arthur O’Shaughnessy or Willy Wonka.

After this, I will swear off my jealousy and grovel like the other \"sycophants\" on the forum. You guys set the bar too far! It ain\'t half fair! As with Mr. Lastufka, I too will quote the great sage and bard, Homerus Simpsonus: Tuscans,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (accompanied by cello in drool minor).
    Seriously, while this may not literally rock, it\'s beauty is apparent to the ear.
    And it is exciting to hear such great things being done with a tool within my apparent grasp. Now, if only I could do such things. (I swear this is my last whine. D\'oh!)

I bow before you Francesco. You \'OWN\' GPO. You could sell it to me again. Wonderful collaboration. Not that this song wasn\'t excellent before, but Francesco is truely the master of GPO. William\'s composition has new life.

thanks to all. It was a pleasure for me to work on william\'s piece. anyway I did very minor changes. William has composed a very nice theme.
    I always say that make an orchestration it\'s like to be a fashion designer:
    If you have a beautiful model(the music), you can only give an add-value to the beauty with your dress(orchestration); if you have a not beautiful model, you can make the best dress,but it\'s hard to make it appear as the best dress in the world...becuase of the terrible model!
    Thanks to William who let me the liberty to re-perform some lines on his composition.
    Sometimes composer are very jelous of their work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    PS very-very soon the first part of the tutorial.BTW what\'s your preferred format?(WORD, PDF,FLASH?)

I prefer PDF, Flash would take a while to get it out to everyone because of the extra time spent formating and you couldn\'t save it to an external machine (say an offline DAW), and word is too easy to copy and paste and makes HUGE files when pics are added, PDF is the best compromise and can be posted quickly with short d/l times...

Definitely PDF.

Go Back to forum