• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: J.S. Bach Piano Demo

Share/Bookmark

J.S. Bach Piano Demo

Many thanks to John Grant for providing this excellent demo of our Hamburg Steinway. This is from book one of Bach\'s Well Tempered Clavier - Prelude 19 . (2.32 MB -1:16 - 617kbs)

John\'s playing style shows how well the piano handles somewhat faster/lighter playing. The contrapuntal lines are always clear and the voicing is always able to be heard. The scaler passages are a great demonstration of the eveness between notes up and down the registers.

As with all of our piano solo demos, no effects have been added. What you hear is what you get straight out of the box.

I think even Bach himself would agree on this rendition!

Thanks John! Looking forward to more demos soon!

Re: J.S. Bach Piano Demo

hi,

Thanks John!

It\'s natural and warm.

Cant\' wait to receive the Milan Steinway D.

Regards,

Olivier

Would love to hear it, but can\'t seem to get it playing - help please?

I´m sorry but , it seems there´s pedal on this mockup [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]...Does it have???If so , I must say that in Bach you should never use pedal...
    ...the piano sound nice!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I really want to feel like I\'m in a space with it right in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of this piano sound is not to be seated right at the piano. The mic\'s were placed further out from the strings. Perhaps when our 2nd volume is ready with close mics that will suit your tastes.

[ QUOTE ]
    Leogardini - you\'re more of a purist than me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If you want to go that far, we shouldn\'t be playing Bach on piano at all, hey! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    OT - Cand , this is not purism...this is one of the most basic informations of how to play baroque music...Every pianist that have studied/played Bach´s music (with a good teacher) no more than once in their lifes know what I´m talking about...Just listen to some CDs...
    ...this is just a constructive comment , but I´m not going to talk about it further because there´s always someone here to misunderstand you!!!

hi,

My favorite pianist is Glenn Gould. He played only on Steinway D.

But some great Pianist use Pedal in Bach. And it\'s the result that\'s is important.

In this demo you should mute de Concert hall reverb. It\'s all.

And real Steinway D piano have a great sound for Bach. According to me the J.S Bach would play only on Steinway Piano if he comes back ton our century.

Regards,

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Leogardini - you\'re more of a purist than me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If you want to go that far, we shouldn\'t be playing Bach on piano at all, hey! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    OT - Cand , this is not purism...this is one of the most basic informations of how to play baroque music...Every pianist that have studied/played Bach´s music (with a good teacher) no more than once in their lifes know what I´m talking about...Just listen to some CDs...
    ...this is just a constructive comment , but I´m not going to talk about it further because there´s always someone here to misunderstand you!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It\'s not a matter of misunderstanding. Just that it is OBJECTIVELY wrong to even think of playing Bach\'s and baroque music without pedal.

Being a professional pianist myself I\'ve thought deeply about this subject and, I repeat, objectively.
    I will only quicly say some reasons, as this would be rather OT here. Feel free to move this discussion somewhere else.

1) Many great pianists play and played Bach on the piano with pedal. See Glenn Gould, Richter, Samuel Feinberg (one of the most beautiful WTC out there!), ...why?

2) If you\'ve ever played on an original harpsichord or on a fortepiano, or even pianos from Chopin time you know that ancient instruments have a \'fault\' that modern pianos have not: the sound is not effectively damped when you release the key. That produces the effect of a permanent slight pedal. That\'s why, for example, if you follow to the letter Chopin\'s pedal indications his music becomes awful. The harpsichord has a beautiful natural resonance that is missing on modern pianos. You have to recreate this resonance with the pedal.

3) Modern rooms and halls: their acoustic is just too dry. If you enter an europeans baroque palace, you\'ll find huge rooms, high ceilings, stone walls, parquet floors! No thick moquette! No absorbing panels! No 2.60 mt high ceilings! The natural resonance and reverberation of these spaces adds to the instrument resonance itself and creates a beautiful \'wet\' sound. If you play in churchs this is even more evident.

So, Bach and other baroque composers wrote their music for these instruments in these acoustics. Pedal IS necessary if you want to faithfully interpretate Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Clementi, .... on modern pianos.

That said it is to be understood that good pedal use is an art and its subtle and refined use is not permitted by existing piano libraries.

Roberto Rega

John,

This is a lovely performance. It actually brought me back to the days of The HS of Performing Arts in NYC where so many talented pianists would be practicing for their recitals. I might also add that the High School used Steinways exclusively.

Congrats

Alan Russell

I use pedal on Baroque and Classical pieces as a reverberation finishing, and not for sustain purposes. With this in mind, I take into account the space I am playing in. Using the pedal this way helps a lot. I got this from my German-trained mentor who said, \"Bach wouldn\'t mind!\".

John Grant has always been one of my heros. My living Glenn Gould. I still keep all his recordings from mp3.com.

As for the Hamburg Steinway, it scared me. It is so pure and so real that it sounds like I\'m attending a piano master class where I\'m sitting right on stage, just a few feet from the grand piano. I don\'t know if this is good or bad as I am more accustomed to hearing it live (with the piano right where my fingers are or where I am in the audience area) or as a CD recording (which is authentic, but you still know it\'s a recording). I think the Hamburg Steinway has crossed some kind of realism barrier and I don\'t know how I would handle it, especially when combining it with other virtual instruments, if I had the library. I listened to the Chopin demo too, and the piano just stands out from the orchestra, so pure that it seems like the pianist is playing with a minus-one. Again, I can\'t tell if this is good or bad.

This is just my impression. Other\'s might hear differently.

Still, my congratulations for such a library - and to John for such awesome musicality!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast