• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004

GPO and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004

Hello all.
    I am considering buying GPO. I need good accoustic instrument sounds, especially solo voilin and cello, and I was impressed with the demos on the gpo website.
    I would appreciate any answers to the following questions, to help me decide if GPO is right for me:

1) How well does GPO integrate with Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL? Any bad experiences?

2) How does GPO compare with Edirol\'s HQ Symphonic library? (just from the samples, GPO seems to have more realistic string sounds).

3) Many soundonts of strings cut off the sound as soon as you release the keyboard. This is unrealistic. Throwing in some reverb helps, but still the sound releases too quickly. Is there a natural \"ambiance\" to a solo string sound in GPO? Or is it necessary to add reverb?

Thank you for any opinions!!

Re: GPO and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004

This is a followup to my own post!
    Since I don\'t know how GPO integrates with Cakewalk Home Studio XL, I am wondering about the the MOD WHEEL controller. My roland midi controller keyboard does not have a mod wheel.
    I know the GPO uses the mod wheel to control volume and expression.

Could I use the mod wheel on one of software synths that come with home studio like the Dyad DxI? If GPO intgrates as a Vst plugin, is there a mod wheel available that way? Comments?

Thank you for your help!

I don\'t have Home Studio, but I do have Sonar and I understand they are very similar in design with Sonar having more tracks and features.

You can draw in modwheel data using the pencil tool in the piano roll view. The controller data is at the bottom of the page.

GPO works great with Sonar and should also work great with HS. You might want to get the VST adapter if it does not come with HS. The VST version works better than the DXi and uses fewer resources. Try the DXi first though and see if it meets your needs.

-- Martin

There are some solutions if your keyboard doesn\'t have a mod wheel controller:

See the 2nd question:

Really Cakewalk Home Studio is just a slightly cut back version of Sonar 2.0 and a true bargin IMHO.

GPO is superior to Edirol HQO if not just for the more advanced programming, but it doesn\'t end there. The Edirol\'s sound is like early 1990\'s (pretty good) versus 21st century like GPO is (outstanding).

The only area that the Edirol has an advantage at this time is in very fast \'agressive\' orchestral music and for that Hollywood \"Media Ventures\" Hans Zimmer sound. It excels at that (no surprise really, as Roland bought Zimmer\'s old orchestral library many years ago).

If you are really locked into that kind of sound or you have clients expecting that, then the Edirol will do it for you.

If you are serious about exploring a symphony orchestra then GPO will be a very exciting toolkit for such experimentation. I can\'t really see myself being without GPO (and the Edirol is overpriced IMO).

If you can afford two libraries then I would get GPO first and then the Edirol, as the QLSO Silver will not be a good timbre-match to GPO (VSL Opus is a good match but quite pricey I think).

Go Back to forum