• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kids Music

Share/Bookmark

Kids Music

Hi there, this is my first post here, seems like a great community you\'ve got going here.

I have a job of scoring some children\'s music, nursery rhymes, lullaby\'s etc. I listened to a few cd\'s, and most of them just used GM sounds, which works in this situation, but I couldn\'t put my name to something like that. Anyway, anyone have any kids music demo\'s to share, and anyone have any library suggestions. I\'m sure I\'ll use glockenspiel\'s, xylophone\'s and stac woodwinds but I\'m thinking of using some ethnic world music instruments for some extra color.

Thanks.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Kids Music

Tob has a nice one

Ed

Hi!

Congrats on your gig. I\'ve scored a lot of children\'s music projects (Winnie-the-Pooh, Mickey\'s Active Learning, etc). While the subject matter may sometimes require a certain simplicity/clarity in approach, I think it\'s a mistake to equate that with the music not needing to be as good. You certainly alluded to that in reference to the GM midi stuff that you heard.

Kids are remarkably perceptive about being \"talked down to\" in a musical as well as a verbal sense. IMHO, the way to write good children\'s music is simply to write good music...

I concur with Billy and Craig. I do a few kids projects every year. I\'ve found I keep more clients because I approach it like real music and even though they may not know why it\'s better, they just like it better. It drives me nuts to not treat it like a regular song, I just add more cutsie stuff.

www.w3productions.net/demos/COTW Is where I posted my last kids thing for the client to listen to. I just checked and the files are still up. In this case it was for a kids choir called \"Children of The World\". The kids are from orphanages all around the world, India, Russia, Columbia, China - and more. I can\'t rememeber all the places. The worst part is they couldn\'t sing english very well so the producer (I just did the programming) mixed the kids way up to try to understand the words. Still can\'t understand them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyway - If you can hear through the orchestration (which I think is obtrusive but I had no say in it) then you can hear what I have been doing with kids which has been very successful. Basic sound kits are:

Heart of Africa, Vocal Planet, QL Rare Instruments, Ethno World etc. for ethnic sounds.
    Various synths like Atmostphere, Xphrase, Emagic plugins etc for synth sounds.
    Bass - Trilogy (easiest one stop shop on the market)
    Drums - Stylus, Various loop collections, and on this project I played with Drumkit from Hell a lot. but I really like Joey kramer, steve Smith, and Discrete Drums better.

I recently got Storm Drum and I\'m hoping this group does another project this year because it\'s AWESOME for this kind of stuff. All the ethnic drums you could want plus some great acoustic kits.

Hope that helps.

J-

The QLSO Silver demo \'Cartoon\' seems like a nice example...

Silver mp3 demos

Hey thanks for the replies and demo\'s guys, you\'ve really given me some food for thought. I was really thinking about \'dumming down\' for this project, but that just doesn\'t make sense anymore. As far as library\'s are concerned, I was thinking Heart of Africa, but this Storm Drum could be a winner.
    Thanks again.

\'Kids music\' or \'music for children\'. It\'s a dubious term. As if kids need special tailored music for their little underdeveloped minds or something. If kids are unspoiled and not yet molded and shaped by what grown-ups think kids should be listening to, they show a remarkable interest in music that is even too painful to the ears of most adults, like music based on Schoenberg\'s twelve tone method. It\'s a pity that we push them in such a narrow category, while in fact they are musically very open-minded. But alas, we keep them on a short leash. I guess we want children to be innocent and therefore we score their images with innocent, naive and \"harmless\" sounding music. Music that is as far away from the Devil\'s Chord as possible. If we think \"kids\", we are inclined to associate it with glockenspiel, celesta and preferably the high registers of the woodwinds. You know what? We do this for ourselves, not for the kids. It\'s not kids music. It\'s an adult\'s perception of kids music.

---------------
    Alex Cremers

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi tobyond,

I made my living for many years doing kids music. It is such a general term, and like anything else, there are many areas of kids music, being anything like Barney,up to action cartoons. My biggest advice is to have fun with it. It\'s generally happy stuff and makes for a comfortable and creative work enviorment. Experimenting can often lead to easy and exciting results.

This is an old demo of mine, with dated sounds, but in this genre, I really think how old the sounds are, are of little consequence.

http://www.scoredog.tv/Kid%20Montage%20mix.mp3

[/ QUOTE ]

Google for \"Craig Sharmat\" - he has done more fun stuff for kids than music alone [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Have a nice holiday, Craig!

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi there, this is my first post here, seems like a great community you\'ve got going here.

I have a job of scoring some children\'s music, nursery rhymes, lullaby\'s etc. I listened to a few cd\'s, and most of them just used GM sounds, which works in this situation, but I couldn\'t put my name to something like that. Anyway, anyone have any kids music demo\'s to share, and anyone have any library suggestions. I\'m sure I\'ll use glockenspiel\'s, xylophone\'s and stac woodwinds but I\'m thinking of using some ethnic world music instruments for some extra color.

Thanks.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi toby,

i dont know what is the age group that you are going to be writing for...but what i think is that kids are more interested and amused by the sounds they hear in their toys. i would suggest you to go to some toy store and look at the musical toys that are available for the age group you will be writing for and take the sound inspirations from them(even sample some sound out of popular toys for that age group which i think kids will instantly relate to and like). golckenspiel, xylophone, toy piano, would be a good choice to base the main melodies on as these are the kind of sounds on which kids grow listening to....

bye

Hi Robin, Thats a good idea about the toy\'s, I\'ve been thinking about sampling some of my daughters toys (toy pianos, rattles etc.) This project becomes more fun the more I get into it.

Alex, although I somewhat agree with you, Sharmy\'s point pretty much sums it up. The director of this project has his idea of what it should sound like, and the fact is no matter how revolutionary my ideas are about any project, they will not see the light of day if the director refuses them.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum