• Register
  • Help

Topic: Posting MPEGS

Share/Bookmark

Posting MPEGS

I see that a few people have posted MPEGS with thier music one this site. How does one go about doing this? I\'ve had a few people lend me space for a song but they were only like 3 MB. This Video file is almost 86 MB. Is there a way to do this? Any ideas? Thanks,

Eric

Re: Posting MPEGS

I think you would need to get the file size a lot smaller. You could try a smaller window like 320 x 240 or even less. You could also try heavy compression on the video.

You probably wont be able to host a file that big for a few reasons;

Your webspace wont allow it
    You\'ll exceed your monthly bandwidth by everyone downloading it
    You may not be able to upload a file this big to your ISP\'s server without it timing out.

After the recent discussions on the Brotherhood of Wolves MPG, I experimented a bit with codecs and compression settings. You can gain significant file size reductions by tweaking encoding settings. One 2 minute Mpg2 file (768 x 432) started out at 80 Mb, but I got it down to 20 Mb at the same size, without significant quality loss.

Reducing the displau size of course helps a lot, but not as much as you would expect. You may also want to experiment with Windows Media Player format, if your video application supports it. This format gives the best quality/size ratio. Second for me is DivX format, then QuickTime and finally Mpg2. The Mpeg2 format always comes out bigger and darker on my system. For some reason, Mpeg2 is also the only format that doesn\'t stream with my setup, or with my ISP, so I have to wait until the entire file is received when I click on a Mpg2 link. The other format stream nicely with my DSL account.

Make sure to save your encoding settings each time you render. Another tip: make sure to have a master version of your clip in the best format you can create (thus a very big file), for instance AVI with Intel Indeo codec at 90-100% quality. If you have a lower quality master clip, you start out with too much \"noise\" and artefacts in the images, which are harder to compress.

There are huge differences between ISPs. I currently have a 1 Gb webspace at a small, but good ISP here in Holland. I pay some euro 15 per month. For my work I often post project files for my customers. Never any problem with uploading files in the range of up to 200 Mb. This particular ISP is also not very picky when I hit the bandwidth limit of 6 Gb per month.

If you have an ADSL connection, your access provider may have also given you some webspace (I have 50 Mb with my access provider).

Have you tried the DIVX codec? I think it manages a nice level of quality and a good compression size.

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunatly I dont know much about video compression. Is there anyone out there that\'d like to give it a try with this file if I sent them a cdrom with it? Just thought I\'d try? Thanks,

Eric

I can do that, I\'m Europe, so it may take a while via snail mail ;-)
    You can use the addresses on my personal site (see sig).

Regards,

Go Back to forum